Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can I change new cars?

I recently leased/financed a 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 in mid-December. I'm not a big fan of its small size and tendency to fight against the wind, especially behind semis. I have been thinking about going back to Dodge or switching to Jeep, but I'm not sure what I can do with the Mirage.

You can change according to your mind.

That would depend on what the specific relevant part of your contract for your Mirage says.

And, since you cannot even decide whether you are financing a purchase, or leasing your car, I have no confidence that you can read a contract with comprehension.

When you tailgate you have problems.  I get back far enough to see the truck drivers side mirrors.  Then I know he CAN SEE ME.  Also am out of the way of flying rocks that come off the tires from the road...they always hit the windshield.  If people want to jump in the space in front of you, let them.  Driving is not a RACE.

Up to now you do not own the Mirage - you have been renting the use of it.  That is what leasing is.  Fortunately most trucks drive at night and are on trucker routes.   I hate viewing the back door for 100+ miles.  I want to see the scenery too.  You won't arrive any faster if you are glued to the trucks bumper...and it is more stressful driving...if you always have to be on the ready to apply the brakes...because the truck did.

What the dealers will allow you to do depends on the dealers being generous today. Maybe, probably they are not.  Or you pay extra.

You pay the penalty for ending the lease early. 

• Rita

So let's take a closer look at what you need to do when changing cars… I'm buying a new car. Do I need to cancel my insurance policy and take ...

Can you? Yes. Can you afford to? Only you know that. We don't know your financcial saituation and whether you can absorb the cost of terminating a lease early as well as the cost of a new financing arrangement. 

Yes, but it will cost you money.

If you leased the vehicle you'll have to pay an early termination penalty which could be several thousand dollars for a car you've only had for a few months.

If you financed it then you own it, but you'll have to pay off your loan in order to sell it or trade it in. The car is probably worth less than what you owe on the loan unless you started with a very large down payment, so you'll have to pay out of pocket to cover the difference between the trade-in value and the loan balance.

• Jay P

Did you lease it or did you finance it?

Either way, expect to pay for the privilege of breaking the contract early but sure, if you're willing to pay the penalties, it can be done.

If money is not an issue, turn in the lease, pay the fees and get a Dodge (oop I think I puked in my mouth a little) although you might want to have a sit-down with the leasing dealer and see what they can do to make it less painful (see if they will swap you to a larger car for less than the early term fees). OR go AROUND the semis  - cheapest option really. 

You can do what ever you want.