Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

My grandmother had covid, and then had a stroke and has moved into a nursing home.  I understand her landlord lost money, but why so nasty?

She is 63 and was still working and had a late in life bankruptcy.  She lost her job temporarily in march, then they went out of business permanently around the same time she got covid.

She did not pay rent from june-november (when she moved out).  I understand he was probably counting on that income, but she was counting on it too.

I moved her stuff out, cleaned the apartment, and turned in the keys to her apartment.  I told him the situation.  We have a lawyer to handle her poa paperwork etc.  I provided his contact info to the landlord, but he wasn't interested.

The landlord is now threatening me with violence if I don't pay her back rent.  I tried to explain that she is liable, not me, but he doesn't care.  I filed a police report on his threats, but he continues to harass me.

How can people be so heartless?  We didn't plan for something like this.  I thought she had many good years left.

The landlord isn't necessarily heartless although he's crude and out of bounds in his approach to you as you are not responsible for the debt in any way. As you've already complained to the police about the threat, I'd continue to do so each time he makes another threat. I'd also obtain a restraining order against him and, should he contact you after the issuance of one, have him arrested. I do sympathize with him somewhat though, as he's probably had more than one tenant not pay him during this crisis and is suffering financially as a result.

I can't tell you why your landlord is being such a jerk, but I can tell you to report him each and every time he harasses you about this. None of this was your fault. You aren't liable for your mom's inability to pay her rent. And if he wants his money he'll just have to sue her estate after she dies. 

Try ignoring him--block his numbers if he texts or calls, and keep telling the police he is bothering you if he has made threats of violence. That's all you can do, unless the lawyer can help you with anything. I'd also get a restraining order against the landlord pretty fast--so if he tries anything you can have him arrested. 

Usually, I'd be more sympathetic--the man didn't get paid for nearly 6 months--but I can't understand why he did nothing until YOU came along. 

• ?

he lost money , who wouldnt be angry , fair enough , shes better than me , i had a stroke and in a nursing home too , big deal , see if she can walk and move her arm , i cant .

.

• n2mama

It isn’t about heartless, it’s business. The landlord is a businessman, your grandmother had a legal contact with the landlord. Her issues with her health and finances don’t negate that. Now, it isn’t appropriate for him to threaten you, but he has no reason to forgive her debt to him. If there now is a POA in place, it becomes your responsibility to deal with the situation. You can’t say she is liable if she no longer is managing her own legal affairs. The landlord is well within his right to file a lawsuit to get the unpaid rent that your grandmother legally owes. If she has no assets, having a judgement against her is no big deal, because he will have no way to collect it. 

• ?

Her landlord may be facing serious financial trouble including possible bankruptcy and foreclosure as a result of your Grandmother not paying rent.

That's as much his fault as it is your Grandma's, because he shouldn't be stretched so thin that a few months of missed rent puts him in a desperate situation.

And it certainly does not justify threats of violence, especially not toward a person who isn't even legally liable for the debt.

If I were in your shoes I'd say something to the landlord such as "I have already reported your threats to the police. I am not liable for her debt. If you contact me again for any purpose I will file for a restraining order against you and sue you for financial compensation for the mental and emotional anguish you have caused me. You have already violated the federal fair debt collections act by discussing her debts with me since I am not party to your contract. I intend to assist my Grandmother in obtaining legal counsel and we will use your illegal behavior against you in court to have the debt for unpaid rent discharged. We will not press criminal charges IF this is the last time we hear from you."

There are good people and bad people everywhere.  The landlord is a bad person and he himself may have serious financial problems.  Be firm with the landlord - tell him that his misfortune is not your problem.

I am guessing that because you had a lawyer deal with all of this there was no 'Power of Attorney'.  I am also going to guess that this all happened VERY fast and you are asking this question because your parents are so stressed out....you are about 28 Yes?...23?  Anyway you are old enough and smart enough so:

You were not on the lease, therefore the landlord HAS to deal with your grandmother...and because she cannot deal with it...he HAS to deal with her attorney.

It does  not matter if he wants to talk tot hem or not, it is the law, you were not legally involved until now.

Now this landlord has threatened you.  This person is not much more than a stranger, and you have no idea what they are capable of other than they are demanding money from you.

Keep records of the threats and go and talk to the police about getting a restraining order.  Also talk to your grandmother's lawyer.  They will... for free (or a very small price)write and send a 'CEASE and DESIST' letter to the landlord.  Basically that letter will outline the; legal remedies that the lawyer will use to totally 'put this person in their place and make certain they think twice before threatening another person.'  Once the landlord receives that letter and once you have a restraining order preventing that person from ever contacting you...if they do you can sue them and take their 'filthy benighted clap trap of a building' away from them...and donate it to a non-profit...tear it down or even paint an unflattering picture of the landlord on the front.

Really....you are in the right...they are in the wrong, and you do what ever it is you need to do to get rid of this creep and feel better.

I hope your grandmother recovers and you can have another 30 wonderful years with her!!!

I guess the issue is - she (or her estate, if someone else is now in charge of it) owes the money.

This is a basic legal fact.

Assuming that the lawyer is in charge of her estate / finances - write to the landlord, confirming again the details of the lawyer, and ask that all future communications are addressed to him. Pass anything else you receive onto the lawyer to deal with it. 

If you rather than the lawyer are responsible for these; then you need to get the rent paid.

(NB it's not heartless to require the money - renting property is a business, and landlords have bills to pay too)

Legally if he threatens you again talk to a lawyer. 

If he is threatening you, report it to the cops.