Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

If there is an empty house next door to you what kind of new neighbour do you hope will move in....?

.... an elderly couple who might be hard of hearing, a middle-aged couple who'll be out at work for most of the day or a young couple with children who might kick balls around, play loud music and generally become a nuisance.  Not that any of us ever get to choose those things of course - but we can wish.

• ?

I'd like them to be kind and friendly, polite, helpful,  but not always in my home.  I'd like them to knock and wait for someone to answer the door before they walk inside also.

From my own point of view it would be nice to have an elderly couple next door.  Two people who were kind hearted and appreciated help offered and who, sometimes, offered help also.  Most people were like that when I was a child but life, generally, has changed so very much.

I live in a terraced house with a very thick party wall one side (so I hear nothing from him) and a thin wall the other side  and can hear much of what is said plus their choice of T.V. programmes etc.  Noise insulation might help but I cannot afford to to do that. 

I listen to the radio and read (no T.V. at all or playing loud music).  

• Ann

I would wish for someone who is not a bigot nor a racist.  I currently have a neighbor who immediately, upon moving in,  put out a large "Black Lives Matter" sign in the front yard.  He doesn't even look at the other neighbors, much less speak to us, even when spoken to.  The person who lived there before him was an elderly man who died in his bed and wasn't discovered until the odor and his accumulated mail alerted others.  I've often wondered if the odor of death still lingers in that house, and I would bet that the present neighbor doesn't know someone died in the house.  (That's supposed to be revealed to the person who moves in afterward). 

• kswck2

Anybody that doesn't have an Attitude problem with most everything. 

I would hope, NONE!

That a no-brainer really, as far as we are concerned.  We have had similar with a bungalow opposite which was bought as a second home after the old man living in there died, but then went into the hands of an agency and became a full holiday home which meant all kinds coming in there + cleaners.   Some visitors were ok, others not.   The property has now been sold again, and we have people in there, a couple, who we believe are again using it as a second home.   However they came down just before the current lockdown from ?? (said to be London at a time when the city was Level 4, and it was Level 2 down here).   They are still here.  They obviously bought the place with the major furniture and there's been no sign of any of their own big furniture being moved in.  Which is why we feel it's a second home, again.

The only good thing is they are QUIET and there's no continual car door slamming at all hours.

We all hoped for a retired couple to move in!

I like the neighbor I have.  I also like noise and children.  Or if a few martial artists moved in, or computer geeks, that would be nice.

promiscious college girls

There was an empty house next door three years ago.  I hoped for someone that would take care of the yard.  That didn't happen but we got 5 young people from Nepal who are delightful, polite and kind.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Cogito

The age doesn't matter, but I'd be happy if they were honest, law-abiding, quiet and their family and visitors were the same.