Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

Will 5 year old seeds germinate?

I have some seeds from 5 years ago that I never used. Will they still germinate?

• ?

It's possible.

Do the germination test. Get a paper towel, wet it, fold it in half. Place seeds on half of the wet folded paper toweI and fold it so the seeds are covered. I place mine on a large plastic lid hear a window. Keep the paper towel moist but not saturated.

Any good seeds will germinate. At which time, place them in sterile seedling soil. 

This technique eliminates extra work in planting worthless seeds! Works Every Time!

Most seeds will be viable for YEARS AND YEARS.

Some seeds, however, have short lifespans.

The world's seed bank must rotate some seeds annually, others less frequent, and still others never.

Tomato seeds are usually good from 1-3 years and diminishing rates after that.

Storage is the key!

Must be stored in a cool dry place, away from sunlight.

I store seeds in a plastic ammo box in the cool, dark basement.

I would take one or two and put them on a piece of wet paper towel and fold it over. Keep it wet for a week or two and see if they puts out a root to grow. 

• Adele

There is a good chance that those old seed packets will have a high percentage of seeds that will germinate just fine. 

If they are weeds, 25 years can't kill them. That should answer the question with much clarity. I read they found some seeds in the Egyptian pyramids and they grew when they planted them in the ground.  They had a kind of wheat.  So several thousand years did not hurt them any.

There is a good chance that those old seed packets will have a high percentage of seeds that will germinate just fine. Most seeds, though not all, will keep for at least three years while maintaining a decent percentage of germination. And even a group of very old seeds may have 10 or 20 percent that still sprouts.

• ?

If the pack is seated still probably some will, just not as many as a fresh pack.

• Rita

• ?

i think so but maybe not all of them I think seeds these days are not meant to last.

If they've been kept cool and dry they might grow. There's only one way to find out and that's plant them and see what happens.