Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I'm afraid to shop at Wal-Mart since covid,and I miss the food I used to buy there at great prices.Is shopping at Wal-Mart safe for seniors?

• Lisa

It depends upon where the Wal-Mart is located.  My local Wal-Mart is in a county that has no mask law and in a town within that county that has no mask law.  Even though Wal-Mart central headquarters says it requires all customers to wear a mask, in areas without a mask law, Wal-Mart employees don't enforce it.  Very often they are afraid to.  They don't want to be attacked by customers (yes, this has really happened) So, there are always lots of folks in those Wal-Marts that are not wearing masks.  

However, when I go to one county to the west, they have a mask law.  Everyone in the store in that city wears a mask. 

Fortunately, there are ways to protect yourself no matter where you live.  If you wear a mask AND a face shield, you are protected.  The mask protects others from you, and the face shield protects you from others.  This is what I do when I am shopping in my local town.  In addition, some stores have special hours for seniors.  This is typically in the early morning.  The store gets cleaned at night and, upon opening, only folks 65 and older area allowed in.  I'm not sure if too many Wal-Marts are doing this anymore but, right after Covid hit big, they were.

I think probably shopping at Wal-Mart is as safe as shopping anywhere else.  If you get the vaccine and if you wear both the mask and the shield, there is still no absolute guarantee.  But your chances of doing just fine are very, very good.

Hope this helps!

• kswck2

Just wear a mask and keep away from other people. 

• Audrey

It's as safe as anywhere else. If you can afford it you can have your stuff delivered.