Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

what do you do as a senior citizen with a terminal illness, when you do not have family or close friends to help and support you?

If I live so long (to have a termal illness) and my husband has predeceased me, I will be in that situation.   I have a sister in law but she's wrapped up in 'her family' (daughter, son in law and 3 grandchildren) and I can't see her dropping anything to come an support me.   I don't spent too much time dwelling on what lies ahead.   I just want a quick final not a lingering one.

• Frank

In the United Kingdom the social service department would step in and help - ensure that you have their details handy for when that time comes.  If you have plenty of money and can afford (for a period of time at least) to pay for yourself in a nursing home then that's the best way.  Once your money runs out your local authority of social services should step in and arrange to continue paying or find a cheaper place for you.  If you have any relatives ensure that they know where you keep any bank books, cheque book, cash etc. and ask them to accept your details so that you can keep in touch when anyone in the family has died.  To be ill or dying and knowing that no-one will know how to get into your house, access necessary paperwork etc. will cause a lot of anguish so get all such things sorted out well before this is expected to happen.

• ?

Many people in that position enter a hospice for their last days, weeks or whatever.

Go to bed I guess.  

• RP

If you want to continue being alone, do what suits you. If not, seek out one of many available resources such as a support group or organization that exists to assist seniors in this situation.

Your doctor will put you through the medical system that is available wherever you are.  When you reach the point where you can no longer cope alone you will be given whatever the government of your country provides.  In some cases a charity might help you.  If YOU are the one in this situation then NOW is the time to be checking out your options so I hope that you soon find what you need. Don't leave it until you are really desperate.

You either ended up in a Hospice or a nursing home, that is all you can do.

Make sure your will is in order and your funeral is arranged and paid for, it sounds morbid but it needs to be done also try to die with dignity, if you are in hospital the nurses will comfort you until the end, as for tentofield, i don't know what your problem is tento but this category reads senior citizens so why that term bothers you i don't know, also i thought you didn't like the term elderly instead of old, yet you used it in your comment.

In saying that i don't like the term elderly either, we're old so don't get offended if someone calls you that.

• kswck2

Make sure the will directs my 'fortune' goes to whatever charity i want it to go to. 

Terminal illnesses are not  just found in old people. (Do not use "senior citizens", the term is annoyingly twee). If you do not have family or close friends for support, the government provides care in the form of home nursing, cleaning, shopping etc as well as hospital and hospice care as part of the healthcare program to which we are all entitled. If your government doesn't provide such free services to the elderly, it's time to get yourself a decent government.