Kitkat asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

After the holocaust, why didn't Ashkenazi change their name?

Nazis killed millions of the Ashkenazi. The word Ashkenazi contains the word nazi. They should have changed their name, the same way people stopped naming their son Adolf after WWII.

• xyzzy

Why would they? The words are in no way related The word Ashkenazi derives from the biblical figure of Ashkenaz, the first son of Gomer, son of Japhet, son of Noah, and a Japhetic patriarch in the Table of Nations (Genesis 10) and is roughly a thousand or fifteen hundred years old. Nazi is not even the name of the group.

The term was in use before the rise of the party as a colloquial and derogatory word for a backward peasant, an awkward and clumsy person. Opponents seized on this, and the long-existing Sozi, to attach a dismissive nickname to the National Socialists.

• ?

When people get overly politically correct, or start imagining ridiculous patterns in words, they sound foolish.  Foolish speech turns off a lot of people, and stupid political correctness engenders reactionary mind sets as exemplified by demagogues like Mussolini, Trump, and Hitler.

Grow up and get a life. 

That is not a name they chose for themselves it is one given to identify them by others. 

I see we have an ignorant social justice warrior in our midst.

Changing the name will not change the history, just like removing confederate statues will not change the history of America,

I think your being a bit silly.  It is just what they are called.  It doesn't matter.

I do really hope you're trolling. It's unbearable to think someone as ignorant as you would have the vote. 

Waht is holocaus and nazi? It sound like bad ting...

• Jerome

I never made the connection until now. Good observation......🤔

Now I gotta research when "Ashkenazi" came into being....

And

Where do the "Khazars" fit in.......🤔

I just read where the same Ashkenazi gene is in a way that it's not a natural selection.......umm🤔

LIKE A CREATION.....👁️

Why bother? Only an ignoramus would conflate the two words.