Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Why do dying men call for their mothers? Why not for their wives, children or fathers ?

I read many stories and watched documentaries were dying soldiers called for their mothers. Many people before they die call for their mothers. My grandma witnessed grandpa yelling for his mom before he died. It’s not just men who do it, there are women who do it also. Why do most people call for their moms instead of their spouses, children or even their fathers? What makes moms so special? 

Who cares, they’re dead.  

Your mom is the person who nurtured you for nine months, brought you into the world, fed you at her breast, kissed your scraped up knees, and likely was there for you for most stuff. 

My kids will tend to go to daddy when they want fun and excitement, but if they want cuddles or they're sleepy or they fell off of their bikes, they come to me because they want comfort. In the darkest hour, mommy is the one you want for comfort. Of course, there are exceptions, but this tends to be the case. 

I think this happens when they are very near death, not fully in the present anymore; and their mothers were the first people they learned to call.  It's not who is closest to them in the present, but the people they first learned to call for help.  Just as a dying person who speaks two languages, will revert to the language of his or her childhood.  However, Kelly Thomas, when he was beaten to death by police in Fullerton, CA, was heard and recorded calling for his Dad.  

I think that for most people, their mother is the person who comforted them from the time of their birth. It's a deep-seated call to comfort. 

That's not a universality of course and there are battlefield stories galore of dying men asking their brothers in arms to relay love messages to their wives and children. But as one slips into death they might revert emotionally to childhood in that they're feeling helpless to stop it. Much of most people's early childhood is more influenced by a mother than by a father. 

• ------

Mothers are comfort

• Bill

Because mothers provide the kind of comfort a dying soldier needs. She was the one that cared for them, fought for them, and was always there for them, so when a soldiers end comes and the fear of death sets in they want their mom to be there. The bond we have with our mothers stays with us even after our mothers has passed and will at times come back to us when our time comes. The feminist lie that men don't love their mothers is perhaps the worst lie that feminists have ever told.