Dayton
Dayton asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

Are anti-HS2 protestors misguided?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55822...

It's a mass transport system that will be capable of being run on clean energy and will provide transport for a long time.  Why are they against that?  Do they prefer cars?

Like most things, yes and no.  I was listening to one of the protesters being interviewed and it was really a "with friends like these..." moment.  

In theory HS2 is a great idea, long overdue.  Our Victorian rail infrastructure needs a serious overhaul.  They were great engineers but nothing lasts forever and lets face it, the UK hasn't properly looked after its infrastructure for decades.  Do you read Private Eye?  They're always on the ball about the next scandal waiting to happen due to this neglect.  Another huge plus would be moving to a wider gauge.  So, in theory I'm hugely for HS2 as one of those once in a century+ major projects.

In practice it's full of grift and incompetence verging on malevolence.  I fully understand why people directly affected by the line have turned against it.  The project is in that terrible place where too much money has been sunk to tear it all up, and yet they ought tear it all up and go back to the drawing board.  Unfortunately if they do that even more good will will have been squandered.

If the put the project on ice it wouldn't be terrible as the economy is going to be sluggish for a while.  If they concentrate their rail efforts anywhere it really ought to be to properly electrify the North and not all these halfarsed "improvements," oh, and take the franchises back inhouse.  Funny how the east coast mainline manages to make a profit while state owned and then goes belly up when it becomes franchised.  In the mid run though, we do need an "HS2," might want to rebrand the name though.  It's already pretty tainted.

I think HS2 is the best thing since sliced bread - where's the website where I can show my approval. I only hope I live long enough to see it finished. 

• F

The route is pretty much the same as the M40. Why not build it alongside rather than ripping up beautiful countryside? 

There’s precious little left in the SE.

Most voters expect the democratically elected government to make infrastructure decisions, not some beardy weirdoes. 

Trains should be banned.

Get FedEx to deliver people to their destinations in cartons.

(Sedation Optional).

I have always been in favour of HS2 as our railway system needs updating badly. Most of the protest groups are NIMBYs.

the whole project is a waste of money: those running  the project are lining their pockets , the whole thing will turn into a money pit of monumental proportions 

I think it’s unnecessary. I can’t see the benefit in reducing travel times from Birmingham and Manchester to London. Both the West Coast and East Coast mainlines are fast and efficient.

But investment in rail is needed, and a fast trans-Pennine link between Liverpool-Manchester and Leeds-Sheffield would bring far more investment to the North.

No it's expensive, dated, destructive bollocks, they should build a hyperloop instead

.

Least they leave their bedrooms and do something useful with their lives 

Yes.

They are programmed to protest everything.

They invariably result in massive costs as delays with projects increases the overall costs.

Other peoples money, so that is okay.

Armchair anarchists, an absolute nuisance.

Most only leave their bedrooms to attend protests, if they go outdoors at all.

Modern day ‘citizen smiffs’ living on handouts and pretending they are making a difference.....bless.

Well as they won’t use it, best not build it.