In the middle of a pandemic, can you actually be happy?

Honestly wondering.

yes because I'm more grateful and appreciative with everything that I have in lfie

I'm content

For I know god is punishing the wicked with a plague

• Craig

Of course many of us, if not MOST of us, can.

Fortunately, as it turns out human beings' capacity to experience happiness and even joy is entirely independent of the objective circumstances around them.  That's not to say that you could be humming a cheery tune whilst being burned at the stake.  But it IS to say that you can be happy living under a repressive tyrant, or in poverty, or while hungry, or while crippled, or while homeless.  You can be happy in the middle of a war, or a blizzard, or a drought.

Happiness springs from little things, usually, and these don't disappear when circumstances turn ugly.  You can rejoice at a sunset, at a favorite tune, at children's laughter, or at a friend's joke - at a lover's embrace or at a grandparent's indulgent smile...even at the sight of a familiar thing that is still doing just fine, like a cake recipe that never falls.

Of course, some of us have a tendency to perseverate on dangers or disappointments, which makes it impossible to appreciate the little joyous things that abound.  But this is a matter of personal temperament, and can be overcome - with a little attention and effort.

It doesn't restrict me from doing anything I want to do, most of which I can do at home, and the stores that I frequent are open, so I'm happy. Probably should add that I'm fine with spending most of my time alone. I learned how to occupy my mind with things that interest me decades ago. I have a sister who lives with me, and I'm happiest when she's gone for the day, and I see my son once a week. That and the people I see in the stores when I go out is enough. So, frankly, I'm satisfied, covid or no covid.

• Robert

People adapt.  Like in Washington (state) they tend to just watch the terrorist burn down their cities, when at one time the would have hit the streets and mopped them with antifa and BLM criminals.  

• Justin

Happiness tends to come from embracing life's momentum rather than fighting it and then learning to enjoy what follows. COVID-19 REQUIRES social distancing. The people who are most miserable are fighting this HARD rather than learning to appreciate and enjoy it. The 'new rules' are just different boundaries set for life. It takes creativity and possibly even genius, but we can play by those new rules and be perfectly happy and probably much safer overall if we do, (fewer 'sudden interruptions' to our happiness).