Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTrivia · 1 month ago

Singapore's education system?

Hi, I'm a 17-year-old poly student about to finish my poly foundation program(PFP).  The PFP is to prepare students for their first year of poly for those who do not know. Nearing the end of the second semester, I came to realize that I have been taught many unnecessary subjects that do not help in my career. Why is this so? An example is that I have to do so challenging math questions which I would not use in the future at all. =( p.s even my math teacher admitted that the majority of the things we learn in math we will not use in the future led along with use at all..... Why is Singapore's education teaching us pointless things, while not focussing on the domain subjects? is it cause they don't wanna lose out? 

I see many of my friends just going with the flow of SG's education, as they fear of scoring bad grades and their mindset set to get a eg degree and climb the corporate ladder. I feel this is wrong as so much irrelevant things taught can be exchanged with learning useful knowledge to help us in the future. Not to mention a diploma pay is $2000+, studying so hard, so much stress and tears, but legit half of the things taught is mostly irrelevant or can be easily self studied. What do yall think of SG education system and its students?

This question gets asked over and over again. As your math teacher should have told you. a university education is about much more than just preparing you for a job. It is also preparing you to be an educated citizen. Math is great training for the brain- and you'll use it more than you think. If you just wanted to learn to do a job, you could have gone to a vocational school, where you'd learn just how to install HVAC, for example. Companies need people who can think and analyze problems, who can find information, evaluate it, and apply it. And countries need people who can understand information. Singapore, for example, has done a great job of controlling COVID. The US hasn't- largely because a lot of people didn't understand the scientific information they were given. 

I also have to point out that we live so long these days that many people change their careers at least once. I know a physical education teacher who went back to school to be a doctor. She was able to do that because she'd had science courses at her university. I know another who majored in math, taught math, and then went back to become a nurse- again, she had the science background. An English teacher went to law school- which she could do because she had history and political science courses. You don't know what you're going to need in the future.