Easy books for adults with adhd?

Hey everyone, im an adult who hasnt read a book in years because i cant focus on the words and have to re read page after page. Im looking for easy to read books that keep your attention so your mind doesnt wander. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Convent by Sarah Sheridan is a good and easy crime fiction book to read, it has short paragraphs to build up suspense and a quick pace to hold your interest.

If you liked the Harry Potter books as a kid you might like the Rivers of London franchise by Ben Aaronovitch.  It's about the London wizard cop unit.  They're very fast-paced and you don't need to concentrate too hard, but most importantly really funny as well as the author guiding you round real, lesser visited aspects of London.  Just occasionally they're really moving too.  If a detail becomes important again later the main character will draw your attention to it.  It's quite a sprawling universe now with the novels being the central spine of the story with side stories in graphic book format and one stand alone (so far) audio only story.

Illustrated books help me, but might be more of a distraction to you.  But, if you do like illustrations, there are some different versions of Harry Potter with illustrations that are beautiful.

• j153e

Somewhat depends on your enthusiasm for a particular book.

Some that are generally popular, well-written, and easier on the attention:

The Little Prince;

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde;

A Christmas Carol;

The Great Divorce;

The Old Man and the Sea;

Animal Farm;

Jonathan Livingston Seagull;

Flatland.

• Zac Z

If your difficulties of reading books are physiologic, rooted in ADHD, the obvious way would be to try to get the ADHD treated.

In the meantime, I would also suggest shorter fiction. The mind wanders, as you put it, less when one is hooked; so the best books for you are the ones that interest you most. I could give you suggestions of stuff that I loved but they might not be that appealing to you*.

As a general rule, thrillers are usually fast-paced, often with short chapters, so you might want to check out one of those if you want to go for a full-length novel. If you're interested in thrillers, that is (see above).

* I once read Peter Høeg's "Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow". There's a passage in the novel that dives into a mathematical topic (can't remember exactly what it was, too long ago), which I found fascinating. My mom, an avid reader herself does not share my enthusiasm for math or physics and I think she skipped this part!   ;-)

Different strokes for different folks as they say...

I echo Andrew, which is one of my main functions here.

You want fast pacing, concepts of interest to adults, and not a huge investment in time. Anthologies and collections of short stories or essays might suit you very well, so let me throw out some titles.

David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day, humorous personal essays that don't need to be read in order.

Lawrence Block, Sometimes They Bite, suspense and horror short stories, many of them truly excellent.

Harlan Ellison, editor, Dangerous Visions, science fiction anthology of the highest standards, many winning awards before appearing here.

Stephen King, Night Shift, horror shorts, some excellent and others simply very good.

Ray Bradbury, The Illustrated Man, stories that seem unrelated--but are they?

Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried, linked short stories about soldiers in Vietnam

• Andrew

There isn't going to be some magic book that will hold your interest as you make your way through it from beginning to end without losing focus or getting tripped up at all. And without knowing anything about what you've tried to read already and what sort of books you've managed to enjoy in the past, the best anybody could do is to throw out a few random titles and hope you might have some luck with one or two of them. 

I'd opt for something short and punchy that doesn't drag on too long... Fiction - not non-fiction, because most non-fiction would likely be too dry for someone who isn't accustomed to reading that type of fare, so I'd suggest going for a collection of short stories. Ray Bradbury has some really fun collections like "The October Country." I think that would be a good place to start. It's not straight up sci-fi, it's vey approachable and digestible as far as the ideal reading level is concerned, and the stories are pretty short and fun. If you like that there are plenty more, and then you can move on to other authors later.