4 years after whiplash, why am I still in agony?

I injured my neck over 4 years ago, I have been referred to NHS physio twice now by my doctor, who have given me some neck stretches & exercises, but they never helped. I’ve also been prescribed co codamol and neproxen, which made me loopy but didn’t ease the pain at all.

I’ve been seeing a chiropractor on & off for a year, but am now starting to attend regular appointments. I’ve also purchased a memory foam orthopaedic pillow, some heat & ice packs, and some strong ibuprofen gel. None of it really helps! 

I am in agonising pain, I can’t lift my head and can no longer raise my arms. My doctor is clueless, my x-rays 2 years ago came back fine, but I don’t know if anything would show up now if it’s worsened because it’s only whiplash?

This problem has affected my life & even jobs for years now. I don’t know what to do but am considering cervical facet injections as well as having the chiropractic treatment. Can anybody suggest anything?

2 Answers

  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Sorry to say but a Chiropractor can make injuries ten times worse. Their treatment is far too fierce for muscle spasm. They are seldom recommended here in the UK.

    I had whiplash 30 years ago and go through bouts of stiffness and pain. I see an Osteopath who gently releases the spasm. £33 for half hour treatment.

    You also NEED an up to date Xray and maybe a referal to an Orthopaedic Surgeon. Please cancel the Chiropractor, they left me in an awful state with a back injury some years ago.


  • 1 month ago

    If you haven't been to a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, perhaps you may get a referral from your GP (general practitioner) for further evaluation.  An MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan may apparently be necessary, such as to find out if there is a bulging or herniated disk.  A regular x-ray is *not* supposed to show the vertebral disks (of the spine).

    For those with a bulging or herniated disk, the injured disk may apparently be pressing on the nerve, such as a cervical (neck) disk injury, and pain may start radiating pain down the arms.  Please, however, do *not* try to provide a self-diagnosis or self-treatment and instead make an appointment with a board-certified orthopedic dr.

    An EMG (electromyogram) is a test to find out if there is nerve injury (or "pinched nerve").  For those in the U.S., either a board-certified physiatrist (doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation) or board-certified neurologist usually administers the EMG test.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.