Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Jo
Jo asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 months ago

Why do people always fold the pages of books?

Doesn't that show a certain lack of respect for them if you're willing to abuse the pages so badly? It's SO easy to get a book mark or just REMEMBER the chapter you were at, why the hell do people insist on folding the pages? Books are sacred things they should never be damaged so callously.

There's no excuse for folding down your page, even if the book it a read-it-once-forget-it novel. The world is awash in bookmarks, from the fortune in my cookie to a leaf to a hair on my sweater to a scrap torn from today's paper.

Luckily, I don't think I know anybody who does this. I presume the ones who think nothing of it are not at all book lovers.

people who do that are NOT book lovers. 

it's simply the easiest way for them to remember where they were. 

Indeed, virtually anything can be used as a bookmark........a scrap of paper.......a pen,  a dollar bill..........there's no reason to damage the pages like that. 

• Amber

I fold them down and always will.

I don't always stop at the end of chapters or read every night as I don't have time. What is the most hilarious about this is the idiots who don't get it's a troll question. 

I don't agree that books themselves are "sacred". It's the contents of the book that matter. Folding down the corner of a page doesn't harm the contents.

I don't do that myself. But I do crack the spine if I can't read the book comfortably otherwise.

Books are not sacred things. Books that don’t sell get pulped. They don’t get ceremoniously laid upon alters.