Router and modem location ?

ISP installer coming today. Still trying to decide best location. Living room is of course top choice due to tv, laptops and mobile phone use most of the time in here. After reading articles online it seems like there isn’t a good space to place the router. Attached is a photo of house floor plan. Only thing it doesn’t show is the two extra windows on the side of the fireplace we had added in. We also have a one year old..so putting it against the interior wall of the living room wouldn’t work well. Rather not mount it on the wall either as it would just look terrible and wife isn’t going to go for it. Any suggestions?

• Lv 7

try to keep it centrally located in your home, so it reaches all corners. higher up is better. ceiling is best.

• i + i

That closet/pantry to east of the living 

room & southwest corner of the kitchen, 

or somewhere along that eastern wall 

of the living room.

Ideal location would be as close to the center of the space as possible.  Also useful to know what the material used in the construction is.  Things like concrete/plaster/stucco can inhibit Wi-Fi signals more than drywall and wood.  

I'd suggest you put it where you want it.  Then if you have problems consider replacing the ISP router with a mesh router and install mesh points in other locations to fill out the Wi-Fi coverage.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-mesh-wifi-rou...

My ~1500 sq ft older home has stucco on the interior walls.  Our mesh router is in the living room, next to the TV where the Xfinity cable comes in.  The Wi-Fi coverage in my bedroom leaves something to be desired.  I have a mesh point halfway between the router and the bedroom and my Wi-Fi rocks.

No wired connections other than the cable going from modem to router. We don’t do cable tv, just Apple TV and no land lines. 

• BigE

You did not mention what requires a wired connection. WIFI should not be a problem with a normal sized house.    Mine is in a printer cabinet with closed doors, works fine.