Jake asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Help with quitting vaping?

I recently turned 18, I’ve been vaping for a couple years now. It just dawned on me that it has been that long. I want to quit. I have “quit” a couple times for maybe a week at a time, but always went right back to it. I never really grasped the consequences. I told myself lung problems were not an issue to me, and if it were just lung problems, I might not be writing this. I’ve noticed a spike in anxiety and a huge lack of motivation. For years I’ve blamed this on depression and/or an anxiety disorder, but I figure this could just be the effects of prolonged vaping. I do not want to stunt my brain, as it is still developing, and I want more motivation. The problem is, I waited too long. I now have a part time job, and I’m enrolled in 4 AP classes at my highschool. How do I find time to balance a recovery period with these commitments? I can not afford to be irritable and confused at work or at school. Any suggestions? Wisdom? Thank you!

To clarify, I should not have said “a couple” years. It’s been about 4. 

I'll tell you what can help and my personal experience. If you can, wait till you have a chance to do this on vacation, when you're not under the usual stresses and you don't have the stimuli that trigger you to vape. I have found that simply checking in to a local motel for a few days works like a vacation by removing triggers. Best - a way to keep yourself busy with your hands on your vacation. Sitting and doing nothing is the worst.

I will end with good stress management advice, which helps to prevent relapse.

What the professionals recommend - CBT (you can find self-help smoking CBT online) and a particular antidepressant. I should mention however that doctors are reluctant to prescribe these drugs for teens and very young adults. Also nicotine replacement, which I will tell you about.

How I quit -

I used the Nicoderm patch program. During the program, I felt reasonably good. I thought about smoking a lot but didn't crave in the sense that I was afraid that I would start smoking again. At the end, I was craving again, so I extended the program by about a month and a half, making a smaller and smaller patch size, cutting off 2 mm slices. Finally the patch was so small I had to fix it to my arm during the shower with First Aid tape.

Stress management 

One of the best things for stress is to develop good breathing habits. It's very simple, although you might find it a bit hard to develop good habits.

A really simple but effective thing - the habit of responding to moments of stress by slowing your breath. The evidence showing that slow breathing is a fast and effective method of calming down is enormous. It's used in treating anxiety, depression, and PTSD (video - the Stanford PTSD study). Soldiers say that they are able to calm down immediately in dangerous situations by simply slowing down their breathing.

Rushing around when you don't have to and doing things carelessly is bad for the nerves and makes for mistakes and accidents. Carefulness is a form of mindfulness. Slow movement is your friend. It prevents serious accidents, and your actual safety is good for your peace of mind. You can learn relaxing tai chi exercise from one or two beginners' videos on YouTube.

Other things take some effort but they're very rewarding - things that make your life meaningful, like a good hobby, art, or volunteer work. Take care of your mental and physical health with the right lifestyle choices.

The best stress management is personal. Deal with things that are stressing you.

This has lots of useful information, about two psychiatrists who recommend a program of mind-body methods with attention to breathing and the lifestyle program for stress and depression developed at the Univ of Kansas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail

I understand your feelings! It's very hard to leave such habits. From my experience, surround yourself with non-smokers and get yourself busy...wherever you are. And I totally agree with RWPossum's answer. Very detailed answer. 

We have seen massive growth in school vaping! This is really bad for teenagers. The Govt MUST take action, especially in schools. Save Teens. 

Just have a look at this. 

https://revivalvape.com/blog/vaping-statistics/

I never vaped but I smoked cigs for 24 years. Started having throat problems and just quit. First 3 days I felt drunk. Like tipsy. But after that it went pretty good. No real mood swings or anything. I would just wait until you got 3 days to kill and quit cold turkey. That's how long the physical withdraw last. The rest is mental.