Why do some places do not accept cash during the pandemic?

This is bullshit they shouldn’t do that. First of all because for people who don’t use a card secondly because they is no evidence that coronavirus spreads through cash 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What country?

That would be illegal in the US

Places of business can refuse certain denominations 

Like nothing bigger than a $20 unless your bill is more than $20

Or can't pay a $100 tab with pennies

But they can not refuse all cash

• 1 month ago

FEAR. At the time, many were worried that Covid-19 could be transmitted by absolutely any physical object.

SimplytheFACTS is DEAD WRONG. The following is what the Federal government says about accepting cash:Legal Tender Status I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

• 1 month ago

Of course it can spread on cash.  Would be a very easy way for it to spread.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The virus could conceivably be spread through cash, but it's not likely.  Tests have shown that it doesn't live and linger on surfaces long.

But some people are paranoid, and if they own private businesses and want to ban cash, they have a right to do that.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I agree that cash should always be accepted, and I actually don't remember anywhere it wasn't, but the logic was obviously that money is touched by many people, thus carry's all sorts of germs.  Of course the irony is that the same can be said for those keypads that require you to put in your pin number.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

" no evidence that coronavirus spreads through cash " there is evidence!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

This virus can live on paper and fabric for a couple of days, and quite a few businesses are following those guidelines. 

For the most convenience, I'd take my cash to a bank and get a debit card, because it's going to be around at least another 6 months. The sooner people cooperate, the sooner it will be over. 

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of course a virus can spread through cash.  You think a virus can't live on paper????  A lot of places are doing it because coins are in short supply and they can't make change (in addition to the spread of germs).

BUT, It is illegal to not accept cash in the United States.  So if you push it, they must accept it.

• 1 month ago

While I agree everywhere should take cash. If you cough on money then hand it over, if you have the Rona then yes, it will spread. All you gotta do tho is use sanitizer after you've touched money.

• 1 month ago

The Covid virus does  persist on surfaces and such transmission is a common route of infection --where the hell have you been for the last year ?.

Why do you think we have had antiseptic hand washes everywhere ,since day one ? 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.