solid asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Does your dog literally understand you?

• Rita
    1 week ago

So the results on a new study that found dogs understand both what we're saying to them – and how we're saying it – came as no surprise. ... My dog doesn't literally know the words I'm saying, I don't think; she wraps them up in the context of my tone and body language.

Absolutely. He knows his name & when I say "heel" he walks beside me. When I say "Good Dog", he's pleased & wants a good rubbing. When I say "Mom", he goes to my wife. When I say "Quiet" he stops barking. My wife says that he's writing a book on Life.

• OTTO

I don't talk much to my dog. But if I say the word "walk" his ears perk up. His vocabulary is small because I don't talk much to him. And sometimes I talk on my headset while we are out for a walk. Not sure what he learns from that...

anyone who loves their pets knows the strength of bond and communication between human and dogs or cats, understanding comes in many forms and language is only one of them.

The one thing in common with dogs we have body language.  They communicate with each other by using body language & they pick up on ours.  If you have worked with your dog & are very close to that dog, yes they understand you.  They can read us much better than we can read them unless you have studied canine body language.  The tones of our voices tell them a lot.

I had one dog that I put through aggression training & we worked together & I swear that we could read each other's minds.  She knew exactly what I was going to do & I her.  Very well trained.  Building search, crowd control, she was a Doby, red in color, her name was Kelly.  When I lost her of old age, my life stopped for a very long time.  Worse than losing a family member.

Yep - She knows what's good for her, as did her much missed companion.    A lot of it has to do with body language, and a set routine however.

Yes, when I speak his language.  Most dogs understand me when I speak dog.

Yes, More than I understand myself in many cases. We work with sheep for a living. And in all truth his foresight and ability has saved a  me lot of bad situations up here on the hillsides especially when the weather suddenly comes down and visibility is low. We can talk without words.... Ever satdown cleaned and assembled a rifle to go shoot some food after  a long days walk... Then to look up at your dog wagging his tail with a fresh caught hare in his mouth for you.... its happened to me many times over.  Then he drops it and goes and catches his own: Without a spoken word.....

Ever put your head down to sleep listening to the Wolves howling with the knowledge that every ewe is safe and contained until you awake? Then you do and they are.. Whatsmore your fresh caught breakfast/ lunch only has to be skinned cleaned and cooked. before the start of your  walking working day. And in  all honesty theres been many a time ive told him to go and turn a wayward ewe and glanced down to see him he has already gone and is around half way to her. already. prior to the command leaving my mouth.. He doesnt only watch my ewes He watches me watching them also.:

For him to be able to anticipate me like that at all I can only assume

Source(s): Just an ole shepherd his dogs and flock
  • Ivan

My dogs do understand several words. You can always tell when they hear words they understand, because of how their excitement level goes up.

They  understand food. That's all. 

"Dogs are smarter than most people think. Dogs recognise rather than understand" 

Dog nutter mentality.