Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I bought a car but the V5 is in my boyfriends name, how do i prove Im the owner as I want to sell the car?

You basically bought your boyfriend a car then.

He has to agree to sell it.

• Neil

As you mention a V5, I'm assuming you are in the UK.

The V5 is the only official document we have for cars in the UK, but it shows the registered "keeper" (the person responsible for fines etc.), not the owner. It even states on the front that it is NOT proof of ownership.

Your only proof of ownership, no matter whether the V5 is in your name or someone else's, is the receipt from when you purchased the car.

Dear, how do I find you? Can I be your boyfriend? I like Jags. Buy me one. Dear, you're not the owner. Your boyfriend is. You just make the payments.

as others says ..the V5 states KEEPER  ..thats not owner ..to prove your the owner you would have to prove you bought it ./paid for it ..have you a receipt from previous owner? 

• garry

it should be on your  registration form who is the owner and driver , the owner is the only person to sell it , even the court will say your boyfriend is the only one to sell it , why didnt you have the car registered to you anyway .

Title HAS TO BE IN YOUR NAME.  Otherwise bf owns the car.  You are the stupid one paying for it.  The ownership of the title is the proof who owns the car. Just that simple.  It is an official government document.  Seems you bought the car but you only supplied the money and were not OLD ENOUGH to sign for it.  So bf legally owns it.   You are going to have to work that out by first being OLD enough to own it and then having the title TRANSFERRED INTO YOUR NAME.  so it is a legal dance of paperwork. Insurance knows and DMV knows how.  You just have to grow up.  Also being the owner means you are not making payments on the car because THEY ARE THE ACTUAL OWNERS.(usually this means a bank or loan company is taking your payments until the car is paid for) 

. It has always been this way.

I do not see how you can.

Kind of dumb to be making payments on a car with a boyfriends name on the title. Better do a few "favors" To get him to sign the title so you can sell it.

The certificate of registration is not proof of ownership, the title is. If the title is not in your name, you cannot sell the vehicle. If a bank or finance company still holds the title, you cannot sell the car until the loan has been paid off. 

The V5 is no proof of ownership so don't worry about it. Get a receipt from your boyfriend and that will be sufficient.

Anyway, you can just say you're selling it for your boyfriend because he's at work and that will stop the buyer knocking you down on price too much when you tell them the minimum price you'll accept on his behalf. 

Edit....many of the answers above relate to the USA and they are wrong for Britain so ignore them. My answer is correct and notes on your V5 will confirm this.

Source(s): I've been a car dealer for 25 years.