Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 month ago

British people what do you think of the word tossers being used in Midsomer Murders shown early on a Sunday afternoon?

when children and ladies could be watching

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The Brits are used to such things - only in Charles Dickens do you get Master Bates and Dick Swiveller and more Fannys than you can shake a stick at.

• Who
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I couldnt give a damn

I am sick of programs being dumbed down so as not to offend

it parents want to allow children to watch programs made for grown ups then thats up to them

If "ladies" want to watch they should get themselves a bottle of smelling salts in case they get a touch of the "vapours"

• 1 month ago

What on earth are "word tossers"?  Is that anything like "spokesman"?  I've heard of "ring tossers" or "horse-shoe tossers", in childrens' games, but not "word tossers".

Oh, here it is from the Urban Dictionary: "the word tosser describes a person with a tendency to show off or brag in an excessive and embarrassing way."

Who cares whether children hear that?

• F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I remember an episode of Mork and Mindy from about 1979 in which there was a character called Mr W@nker. (Not Wonker)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Tosser is probably derived from Toss Pot, a drunkard. You will find it in Shakespeare. 

• Kate
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's not a swear word. I am in Australia and Tossers is used here too.

• 1 month ago

You ought to find the complaint service for itv and voice your concerns in a real report they take, yes stuff like a respected show referring to genitals does degrade society but they get away with it cus no one reminds them.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Many 'british' people are like American in their views zxq

. . . . . . . . . .🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's no worse than JERKS that Americans use. In fact, less so, because a child is less likely to make the sexual connection with self abuse. If the "W" word was used that would be totally unacceptable, but when they can watch two men kissing on TV soaps I think the word "tosser" is very tame.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is an acceptable word before the watershed 

and entirely appropriate for people who are sexist.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.