lardell asked in SportsBoxing · 1 month ago

Do you think 37 is too old to take a boxing class?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

No, from a fitness standpoint boxing is and excellent sport to take up after age 30 as it provides a good workout in a number of areas.

Besides promoting stamina and cardo health, boxing also strengthens the core.  That, in turn, helps to prevent a number of ailments associated with the approach of middle age, like back pain and the dreaded "dad gut."  Boxing also promotes balance, timing and coordination, so it is as good a "workout" for the brain as it is the body.

I've heard of several MLB players, NASCAR drivers and PGA golfers all took up boxing in their mid to late 30s for these exact reasons...keeping the body strong, but lean, and the mind sharp.

Actual boxing training is recommended over fitness classes that incorporate "boxing moves" because you want to learn good technique.  Simply "punching the air" doesn't achieve much and swinging at heavy bags with bad technique can actually lead to injuries.

If you intend to enter the ring and compete, that's another story.  But even then, a good boxing trainer will make sure you don't get in over your head.

Source(s): RIP Hammerin' Hank
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Nope, you can always improve at any stage, compared to yourself yesterday 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Nah. The other guys like to inflict pain.

• 1 month ago

No way bro me mate Jamal still do it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Sounds like a great idea. It will help your discipline cardio and confidence. I however would not advise competing . 

• andy
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

give it a try and see how it goes

• 1 month ago

No, age isn’t the factor before starting boxing. Your general health is only a limiting factor. There are numerous benefits from training in any martial art, and kickboxing training is very beneficial. So, I will suggest going for it.

• 1 month ago

It's never too old. To train.

But it maybe too old to compete.

• 1 month ago

No, not at all! Mike Tyson is 54 and still boxing. I know many people around that age that do boxing, MMA, and more. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.