Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

How different would Star Wars be if Luke Skywalker was a female?

According to the original script Luke Skywalker was originally supposed to be cast as a female character until George Lucas changed it.

https://www.newsweek.com/female-luke-skywalker-sta...

I didn't read the article and am going solely on the question as presented:

It certainly would have made Luke's kiss with Leia more interesting LOL

Other than that, I don't think it would have changed much of anything. To my recollection, Luke isn't shown to have much of a sex drive or any interest at all in any kind of romantic relationship (aside from Leia, of course, but that was never really a major thing). His gender never played a role in any story revelations or plot machinations, as I recall. I know ultimately he had a daughter, but he could just as well have been her mother as her father.

So I don't think it would have been very different at all.

You are either making it up or misinterpreting through your feminist lenses.

That's a bunch of bs.

Liberal Disney and Kathleen is trying make it seem woke again.

• Imp

He was also a dwarf, an old mentor figure, at one point he would have turned to the dark side and he would've been called Starkiller.

Horse sh__.  You're misrepresenting the content of the article.  Lucas said he experimented with several different versions and in ONE of them, Luke was a female.  

I don't think anyone has any problem with female protagonists...and Leia was a very strong female for the 70s.  The objections to Rey is that she was a BAD CHARACTER, not that she was a FEMALE CHARACTER.  Abrams, Johnson, and Kennedy tried to make it about her gender because a VERY small part of the internet was complaining about that while the majority of the fanbase didn't like that she was a BAD character.  We didn't give a sh__ about her gender.

I think you have your answer in the overall underwhelming response to the Rey character in the last trilogy.

Here we are in a time supposedly so much more 'enlightened' than the sexist late 20th Century and each Halloween you still see more girls wearing "Elsa" costumes than dressing up as "Rey Skywalker".... Blame "the patriarchy" all you want, but the simple fact is that the public as a whole didn't respond well to a female lead in Star Wars today.  I think the response in 1977 would have been about the same.

Even if the movie had gotten funded with a female lead (and that bias you CAN partially blame on the "patriarchy") I think it would have gone down in history as an amazing novelty film that set the stage for other sci fi films, but wouldn't have warranted a sequel, let alone become the cultural icon that it has.

Lucas went through many many different versions of star wars before the one we saw, you can read about it online. Mace Windu from the prequels was originally intended to be a major character in the originals before that was cut out. At one point the story was, two young force wielding teens were being escorted through the galaxy by a large bodyguard named Darkstar i believe and they were being hunted by an evil empire ruled by Darkstar's brother, they published this version of the story as a comic called "The Star Wars." Anyway what do I think about a version where Luke was a woman? I think it sounds ok and probably not very different but I think probably Han would be her love intrest. 

• Embery

He was a female. 

It would be a feminists dream and I wouldn’t watch it. Coming from a Real woman, and not an alphabet woman.. Because those aren’t women at all :P

they actually did this already, its called the sequel trilogy and it sucks