What is a good sub for mushrooms that have been subbed for meat?

Hello all, I really like to cook but am mostly vegetarian because I'm a college student and meat can be too expensive to have all time. I see a lot of recipes where mushrooms are substituted for meats because of their taste/texture, but I am allergic to them. What are some other good substitutes for meat? I'm curious to try tofu and tempeh, but I live in a fairly small town where they are rarely available. Any help would be appreciated!

Green 666 by isotope rays is NOT forgivable; it leads to permanent hell. 666 is given with World Passport with no name on it (grey plastic card). Police 666 people on highways. Food stores and prisoners/insane asylum folks (released by the antichrist) 666 people too. Reject vaccines. Don't go into UFO to be healed by demons. Hide with Orthodox Christians to escape 666; leave all electronics behind so that antichrist's minions can't track you; burn documents as documents are from Satan.

Source(s): According to the Last Prophet (aka incarnated ARCHANGEL URIEL aka saint healer VYACHESLAV KRASHENINNIKOV) if the last descendant rejects mark of the beast, then his/her direct ancestors go to permanent heaven. To reject mark of the beast, one needs to hide within a 10-15 people group without electronics/documents. Documents are from Satan; burn them. Electronics can be used to track you and to show the antichrist (even on old broken unplugged TV set from 1970's using Tesla's ether); forgive me.

You can make your own seitan.  You can also order online - TVP is a decent substitute for ground meat, as is quinoa.  

Tofu is absolutely flavorless. . . as in --- it tastes like NOTHING. That is why one has to ADD SO MUCH to TOFU ... to get it to taste like SOMETHING.

You will need to get your protien from eggs, beans dry in a bag and nuts.

Some vegetables and fruit cost more per pound than meat does. So, meat is affordable...only buy it when it's on sale.

• ?

I recommend portobello mushrooms .. large brown, and firm.  Slice the cap.  Often used as a meat substitute in vegetarian dishes.

Or you could use cremini mushrooms ... young portobello mushrooms. Same texture, same flavor.

As a matter of fact, I prefer them to white mushrooms. They never go mushy. And my daughter hates white mushrooms but likes the brown cremini/portobello mushrooms.

I do not think the texture of tofu would work .. and tofu is quite bland although it absorbs the flavor of whatever sauce it is in.  But it still has ... a texture. That some people love and others hate.

If your small town has limited options, just use the cheese as your protein source, and load up the pizza with a lot of veggies:  onion, broccoli, zucchini, bell pepper

• kswck2

So you need to find ingredients more readily available and inexpensive? 

Canned/dried beans work well. There are many kinds of cabbage that are cheap, like green or Napa cabbage. Onions are cheap. Tofu is difficult to work with as it has no flavor to begin with. 

A small town...difficult. I avoid tofu because it's global GMO. 

I can only speak for myself that meat does not have any good effect. It cause inflammation, reduce life time, contains terrible vaccinations, grow hormones, medications, stress hormones which have a huge destroying effect to the body and mind.

• Anton

" ... I live in .... "  a town I am afraid to tell you.  As if anyone cares about you.

Whatever, since you will not tell, I will figure you costs are similar to my Kroger etc..

" ... mostly vegetarian because I'm a college student and meat can be too expensive... "   -- *can*, not IS.  Beef roasts, round or chuck, can be bought at $3 or $4 a pound.  Pork and chicken is about $2 a pound.  Cheap cuts of pork and chicken can be found for a buck or less.

Some vegetables are cheap, rice, potato, cabbage, onions, beans....  You need other vegetables ...  Bell peppers are $1.50 per, about $3/lb.  My mushrooms cost $4/lb.  Not to mention that vegetables are mostly water.  Sauteed onions and mushrooms shrink to a quarter of the original mass, meaning the cooked mushrooms cost $16//b.

I don't do tofu, but looking on Amazon tofu costs $2/lb and up.  Chicken and pork is cheaper.

Rather going vegetarian, learn how to shop and cook.

• denise

There are different types of Soya [meat like products] around, similar to ground mince e.t.c.

'Jackfruit' makes a good substitute for 'pulled pork' too.

• CB

Chicken - 1.99/lb boneless skinless breasts all day long. 

1/2 lb mushrooms 1.99

zucchini - 1.69/lb - 2.69/lb

Cabbage - .79/lb 

Broccoli - 1.69/lb

Bell Peppers (not green) 2.99/lb

Unless you are into cabbage - chicken is the best deal and the best nutrition per dollar.

Michelle, beans are a protein source for poor people all over the world. The cheapest beans are the ones you buy in a bag and prepare yourself, but the canned ones can be total bargains, especially on sale.

You can experiment with mashing them and using a binder plus seasoning to make patties (mine always fail, but maybe yours won't), or just put them in recipes in place of ground meats. (Drain them first.)

Other cheap proteins include eggs, lentils, peanut butter, and dairy products.