Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleFashion & Accessories · 1 month ago

Is it wrong to ask my girlfriend to wear brighter clothing?

She wears edgy punk clothing, which I’m okay with it I just wish she’d wear happier clothing. Is it wrong to ask her this because if she likes the clothes she wears than it’s okay. But the clothes she wears makes her seem, angry and sad.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No.It's right.she will look more beautiful

• 1 month ago

I think it should be her choice to wear a dress unless she has not asked your opinion.

If she is ok with the dress then please don't be a dictator or force her to wear a dress as per your choice. 

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If she told you the same thing about the clothes you wear would you be willing to change?

• Ya-Hoo
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

If she's a crazy emo chick you might have better luck trying to get a more well-rounded girlfriend than trying to change the one you're with, and if she does change she'll probably criticize you for not loving her the way she is.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • LM440
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It is never a good idea to question or suggest a person changes their style of dress.  If you feel a change of color to her wardrobe would be nice, find an article of clothing you would like to see her in and gift it to her.  If she likes it and wears it all is fine.  If she does not wear it you just got the best answer to your question.

• kristy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

One of the worst things you can do is try to tell a woman what to wear unless she asks for your opinion 

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

yes it is wrong

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If she happens to wear a color. Compliment her on it.  That blue looks great on you.

You may want to talk to her about how she actually feels. Leave the clothes out of it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Uh, yeah...don't do this. She's comfortable with her style and how she dresses. Leave her be. Surface things like clothing, hair, piercings, and tattoos shouldn't be dictated by the other person's partner. If you don't like how she dresses, oh well. Nothing you can OR SHOULD do about it.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

In your case, yes, it would be wrong because everything you've written is about projection.  I'll wager that you don't like the image you think it projects when you're seen together.  This is your problem, not hers.  The best advice I ever got about about dating is this:  don't date a fixer upper.  A "fixer upper" is someone who would be perfect if only ________ .  This works with houses and cars but does not work with people.  It's a recipe for making two resentful individuals.

Edit:  The above may read a littler harsher than untended.  I don't mean that you have to break up with immediate effect.  You should spend a little time thinking about why you perceive your girlfriend to be sad or angry when she's wearing the clothes she likes.  Is this really about the clothes or is it about you projecting your feelings of disappointment that the real human isn't the fantasy?  Can you reconcile the dream with the reality?  Especially when young there's a bad tendency to spend a lot of time imagining being together with your crush.  The danger with this is that by the time you've worked up the courage to ask them out you've accidentally created an imaginary identical twin by letting fantasy fill in the blanks where you've not gotten to know each other yet.  This creates a kind of dissonance it can be hard to get over.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.