What Are e-Ink displays On Lap Tops?

E-Ink (and e-paper, I believe) displays are normally used on ebook readers and some smartwatches.

They are a kind of display that holds the image with no power at all - even totally disconnected from anything, the last image stays in place.

The ones I've seen use microscopic "beads" that are black on one side and white on the other, with an electrostatic charge.

They can be spun around to show black, white or part and part by a voltage applied to electrodes in the display (pretty much the same as LCD pixels are controlled, except the beads stay in place without being continuously refreshed).

The downside is that they take longer to change the image than LCDs.

I'd guess colour e-ink displays work in a similar way, but with black and magenta/yellow/cyan/white beads, to show a full range of colours.

I've never seen a laptop with one?

• Mark

I think it's a way to draw colour pictures on you screen with special styluses and be able to print them out.  Sort of a glorified "Paint" program.  We had some white boards similar to that at work, but they were taken out because people kept trying to draw on them with "dry-erase" markers.