I cannot find a job with my criminal justice degree. Can you help?

I graduated in December and have been job hunting for the past 3 months. The jobs I mainly applied to were probation officer, parole officer, loss prevention officer. I keep getting rejected. I got rejected from the police academy also. I have been unemployed since I graduated and I’m getting frustrated. 

• jim

I completely agree with the person below. 3 months is not enough time for you to get a job if you can’t find a job in your field take a job in another field until you do find a job in your field when I first finished college if was something I was ashamed to do but once money started coming in. I felt so much better and so grateful everyday. You have to be grateful. Take a job I’m not saying at a fast food restaurant or anything but take a side gig. You got this god is big and watching you succeed! 

Move to a place where you can find a job in that field

• John

Take civil service tests.  Many career level federal, state, and local civil service jobs want a 4 year degree in any subject.  That being said, the pandemic has left many people unemployed.  Right now, anything to hold you over while you search for a career position would be in order.

Apply to a job that allows you to use transferable skills

• Trish

Get a student loan and go to law school then start your own law firm.  If it's still important to get a job try social work.

Three months isn't very long. And without more details about YOU, it's not possible to tell you why you've been rejected; there could be numerous reasons; your location, your university, your appearance, your application, your resume--who knows? 

Also--this field is pretty glutted. That "criminal justice" degree is one of those everyone wanted to do in the early-to-mid 2000s, and it graduated tons and tons of people.  And the degree isn't worth that much, frankly; it's not specialized enough or technical, it's not a sought-after degree by employers, and it's often the degree people got without planning the field they were interested in entering--so they did only marginally well. 

Aside from those general statements, again--it's just not possible to tell you why you have been frustrated in your search. But after only 3 months? That's only a short time for job hunting. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years

"You won't be able to evolve if you don't do anything."

Therein lies the problem, folks, and why the economy is so far beyond repair at this point.  Not many people are "evolving" because everything already went outta business a long time ago, no one's hiring and people aren't able to get the experience nearly all employers are looking for.

Well, well, well!  Look who it is!

You won't be able to evolve if you don't do anything. If you keep active, and try new things then you might find, and get work. I am trying new things. Because I am struggling with finding work. I have some interesting ideas, but currently I am at a road block, and I am trying to figure out how to bypass my road block.

• Alex

If you want to be a police officer, consider military service as the next step in your career.  Having a degree is going to open you up to some really awesome opportunities in the military.  And once your service is done, you'll pretty much have your pick of law enforcement agencies.

• Scott

Are you physically fit, have a clean criminal record, and a good credit rating? If so, have you applied to jobs outside your city or state?