Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

What are some books or tips that can help high school students improve their writing?

Tip.

Get to the point. Say the whole essay in one sentence. Then say it in two. Then say it in one paragraph. Then write the essay.

Oh, none. None at all. As is well known, students who frequent high schools have no access at all to books that may help them improve their writing. They're just not those kinds of places, you see. Sorry to be a bear of bad tidings. Hugs.

Get a copy of "The Elements of Style" by Strunk & White. It’s a standard for newbies like u

I started a journal when I was 15 but was embarrassed by my awkward writing until I made a solemn pact with myself that no one would ever see what I was writing. While an artifice, it worked.

A year later in Creative Writing class our teacher Glenn introduced us to "Thoughtflow," which basically threw out all rules of composition and taught us to write about whatever was on our minds at the moment with out regard to grammar & spelling or any cohesiveness among the thoughts. Just whatever was there. It was a great way of learning how to open our minds.

The following year I got into a literaure class that examined plot structure & after writing foe student publications the previous year, became editor of my high school paper & eventually did the final design of our senior high school annual.

These three events in my sophomore, junior & senior year of high school set the stage for a lifetime of reading and writing as well as other related fields like photography, graphic design, journalism & filmmaking, all of which I studied formally and made a career of for 19 years.

Following my footsteps is not for everyone but maybe some of the tips shared here will help high school age writers improve their ability to write and develop their own engaging styles.