Marc asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 2 months ago

Why did my sequence of pictures come out like this?

This was taken with a ZWO high speed planetary camera and a Neewer speedlight.

Its 4 frames starting from top left then top right then bottom left then bottom right. Was the camera going faster than the speedlight? why is there only half a picture? Was the computer not fast enough for the camera? because that runs the camera and it was my low powered laptop.

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Clearly things are out of sync, but what's the setup? I've never heard of using an astro camera with a speedlight!

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Whenever an image is half exposed, the cause is almost always caused by the use of shutter speed that is faster than the flash sync speed of the camera. 

Shutters, or precisely, focal plane shutters have two curtains each moving to expose half of the film or sensor.  The camera's "flash sync" speed means that this is the fastest shutter speed where there's an actual time when the entire plane of the film/sensor is fully exposed.  There are no shutter speeds faster than the sync speed where the film/sensor is not being blocked by one of the two shutter curtains, or both.  For this reason, you can shoot longer shutter speeds but never faster than the flash sync speed unless your flash and camera have high-speed sync technology.

The only other cause for half the frame being unexposed is a faulty shutter.  If this problem occurs all the time regardless of the use of a flash, then your shutter is faulty.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

How are you syncing the camera to the flash? If you aren't using a sync, then you'll get the results you show. The flash pulse is 1/000 seconds or faster, depending on the power setting of the flash (up to 1/20000 s for many speedlights if using low power).

There is a maximum shutter speed for full illumination of the sensor. Exceeding this will give you a partially illuminated image. Again, sync is required.

• 2 months ago

Clearly things are out of sync, but what's the setup?  I've never heard of using an astro camera with a speedlight!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Flash and camera not in sync.     

Check all relevant settings.   

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.