Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 month ago

Is there any point in upgrading a 16GB RAM?

I don't play games really and most of the RAM goes towards multitasking. Would it make any difference at all if I upgraded it? 

I have confirmed that my Laptop has a maximum memory of 32GB.

Dep[ends on what you are using the computer for. gaming it probably would make little difference unless streaming. If you do graphics rendering it might make a difference.  

For the vast majority of people 8gb is fine, 16 gb may be advised. Above that is only currently only needed in .a small percentage of cases.  Generally if 16gb is not enough you may wan to look into SSD instead of physical HD or an upgraded processor.

check your laptop's specs ... or at memory vendor such as crucial.com.  many laptops can't support more than 16 Gb ram anyway

Answer this yourself.  While you are multitasking...

ctrl/alt/delete

task manager

performance tab

I would be shocked if you hit more than 60% of physical RAM usage, ever...

• Barry

No it wouldn't have any noticeable effect. 16Gb is perfectly adequate for all but the most demanding programs.