What should I name the character in my book?

Hi all,

I’m writing a book and need a name for one of the main male characters. The main female is called Scarlett and she dates him near to the beginning of the book. He’s tough, violent and not very caring/compassionate. She stays with him because he’s strong and can protect her. I would like some cool/tough names.

Thanks

14 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Trevor Walkinshaw.

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Scott, Angus, Braden, Daniel, William.

Troy,  Blake,  Chad,  Mason,  Nathan.

• Zac Z
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Ordinarily, it's the parents who name their children.

They do so very soon after the child is born, probably have a name ready when that happens.

They have no idea of the child's character or the name of his date two decades later to match his name with these things.

It's truly startling how often a variation of this question comes up and how so many wanna-be writers apparently aren't able to understand a simple thing like that.

If you want to be accurate, research the socio-cultural environment the parents found themselves in when they would have named their child.

Otherwise, just pick any name. Most people don't care. Names aren't important.

Think about one of the most iconic classic horror novels of all time: Bram Stoker's "Dracula". You know what's the first name of Dracula? You don't. Because Stoker never mentions it once*. The other main protagonist is called Jonathan [Harker]. There's also Wilhelmina ("Mina") [Harker, née Murray] and Lucy [Westenra] and Abraham [Van Helsing]. Again: an unnamed main villain as well as Jonathan, Mina, Lucy and Abraham. Does that sound like the kind of names you'd have thought up for a genre-defining novel?

Or take the Pevensie kids of Lewis's Narnia novels: Peter, Susan, Edmund, Lucy. Just as unremarkable as a certain Harry from the best-selling book series in history.

World literature is chock-full with main characters bearing unremarkable names:

Anna Karenina: Anna (obviously)

Pride and Prejudice: Elizabeth

Twilight: Edward

Nineteen Eighty-Four: Winston and Julia

The Great Gatsby: Nick and Jay

The Castle (by Kafka): K. (no kidding!)

Treasure Island: Jim

Just pick whatever name tickles your fancy and if you want to change it later on, there's the possibility to replace them all in a mere seconds in your electronic manuscript as bluebellbkk has already mentioned.

PS: Twilight was of course included for comedic purposes to reward those who endured my ramblings that long.

* it is implied that the count is identical with the historic Vlad Țepeș but this is never made explicit

• 1 month ago

You must be very young if you really think all tough guys are called Jake and nobody can be tough if their name is Bill.

Just pick a name. Any name that you like. I fyou find a name you like better while you're writing the story, that's what your "Select and replace" function is for.

Nobody cares. I absolutely promise you that nobody will fling your book out of the window because you called the character Mike or Jim instead of Tough-guy Malone.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Search your imagination and your memory and pick what you think is appropriate.

Usually the shorter, the better.  

Would you consider Alphonse to be a "tough guy" name? No? Tell that to Al Capone.

• 1 month ago

Since parents don't wait years to name their kids based on what they do or what personalities they have  --- neither should you.  It's a sign of an amateur writer who does this. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Joe Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabbaddoo.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Ashley Wilkes 

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Mortimer Glasscock

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Be realistic. It doesn't really matter because you probably won't finish it, and if you do you probably won't be able to sell it, so nobody is going to read it. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.