MELISSA asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

My daughter 9 STILL pretending to be a dog. And gets mad if I don’t treat her like one. Should I worry? ?

She likes to play dog daily. It’s not all the time and she’s is well rounded, does well in school, and is in gymnastics as well. But it just bothers me that she’s almost 10 and STILL wanting to be a dog! I’m mean like really be a dog. She runs around on all fours, sometimes wants a water bowl, and puts a play collar on. Her friends like playing the owner. My daughter never wants to be anything else but the dog. I mean I try to explain to her that it can hurt her back and knees and that maybe we should try to put a time on how long she can play dog. She said it’s to hard because she just loves doing it. She also gets upset when I don’t play along and treat her like a dog! Again, it’s not all day and mostly just at home. But red flags are going up for me because really... 10 years old...?? What should I do? I don’t want to make her feel bad about it. 

• Rita

This is the Dam and Sire of the pups that are for sale. ... My daughter 9 STILL pretending to be a dog. ... breeders and pet owners worry about Popular Sire Syndrome, which can cause problems in the ... And gets mad if I don't treat her like one.

Get an assessment from a youngster clinician.

My daughter had a friend like that.   All the other kids thought she was kind of nuts.   She grew up,  went to college and is now a writer and makes LOTS of money off her books.    As long as she is doing OK in school and gymnastics I would not worry about it,   it is not like she is ALWAYS a dog.  

On some level it seems very sweet and innocent; she sounds like a special little girl and her play exploration isn't harming anyone. It's cute and endearing on some level, but if it continues into the long-run or becomes obsessive or compulsive and she isn't finding joy in it or is becoming overly preoccupied/fixated, it might be a good idea to consider bringing her to a counselor to try and get to the root of what is driving the behavior. Just be sure not to make her feel guilty or ashamed if you do decide to get her some counseling in the future

She will grow up to become a bltch if she keeps this up

I had a strong love for animals as a kid. I pretended to be a horse, cat, dog (you name it) well into middle school. I like to consider myself a well adjusted adult now--married and have a job! Though, I didn't impose my games on my parents. I wouldn't worry about it. If it is annoying that she tries to get you to play the game too, I'd just not engage and try reminding her that games are fun, but those are not the kind of games you like playing. Teaching her it is fine to play pretend, but the game have to come to an end (for the day) at some point. If it isn't interfering with school or her social life, I wouldn't worry about it. Kids are very imaginative.

Source(s): Personal opinion!

Get an evaluation from a child psychologist.

Call her shrink

Get her a dog of her own.  Take her to a shelter or any dog adoption place & let her pick her own dog.  She sounds like me as a child.  I am a Canine Behaviorist, retired Professional Dog Trainer, a retired Professional All Breed Dog Groomer.  She really needs a dog of her own.  She will stop being the dog but there is nothing wrong with her playing the roll of a dog.

I wonder if you have to put her out at night.