Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Are pressure washers adjustable?

My cousin bought a gas pressure washer that says 3100 psi because we wanted one to wash our cars with but from what I’ve seen that’s too much pressure for a car’s paint. He bought it from offerup and didn’t come with any owners manual. Is there a way to adjust the pressure. We can’t figure it out and at this point we’re thinking we may have to buy another. 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • fuzzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Increase the distance between the nozzle & the car. Start about 2' away & move closer if necessary t omove the dirt

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

its tooo strong , 1,400 psi at the most will do , anything under $100 , petrol is for cleaning concrete and metal , not for paint on a car . buy a nozzle set to reduce the pressure , your should have 4 changeable nozzles .

• 1 month ago

There should be different nozzles, color coded red, white, green, and yellow. Test them out to see which works best.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Don't hold it so close to the car...will reduce the pressure.   Also, if it is factory baked on enamel, it ain't going anywhere.    If it is a Maaco paint job then yeah, that could leave because it is not baked on.  Google the instruction manual or ask at a place where they sell pressure washers. Know the name and model of your unit and they can tell you.  Such as a Rental place, they usually know that stuff.  I would Google first because I am at the computer.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

usually you use different nozzles

• 1 month ago

There's a very simple way to deal with this, just stand back a bit.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The only way to safely clean a car is 

1)rinse it off with water from a garden hose

2)use a microfiber cloth to wipe it down while rinsing it

3) clean the dirt off the rag and use different sides to ensure you're not rubbing sand on the car

4)continue to rinse until almost all of the dirt is off

5)use a car shampoo to thoroughly clean the paint 

6)apply a ceramic or graphene coating to protect the paint. 

I don't know why more people dont use ceramic or graphene coatings. They cost like 15 dollars for a bottle and you have enough for 3-4 years of protection.

• 1 month ago

All pressure washers should have controls.  And don't use any pressure washer on a vehicle.  An ordinary hose and soap made for cars should be good enough.

• 1 month ago

most pressure washers have different tips that can be changed on the tip of the wand. These tips adjust the pressure for wood or concrete, etc. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Some pressure washers have adjustments on the machine, and there are adjustable nozzles.  ANY of them will blast the paint right off your car.........use a low pressure garden hose if you care about your car.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.