Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 month ago

How yahoo 'ask' know which category of my question is belong too ? AI ? manual user assign category ?

I hav being asking some questions on yahoo 'ask', and i noticed it categorized my questions into the right category each time. I am wondering how did it does that ? AI algorithm or human intervention ?

Thx

• .

There is an algorithm that is used to place questions in the categories. It searches for keywords that indicate where a question belongs, but it is fallible. Examples: Many questions that include the word "question" end up in the Yahoo Answers subcategory, even if they aren't relevant to how YA works or the rules here. Questions with the word "running" often land in the Sports>Running subcategory, even if they aren't about the sport of running (I've seen questions about running water and a washing machine that wouldn't stop running).

• Daniel

When you first Post it Yahoo places it Based on Key Words used in your Question so there Computer System looks for what words are being used and then from there Guesses where it think it should go 

Sometimes it will get it Right other times it wont If it Ever doesn't you can Correct it After its posted by clicking on the Edit Button then click on the Edit Category button and Select a New Category for it 

It's an algorithm that clearly depends heavily on keywords.

A question about removing weeds from a field lands in Baseball, because of "field." A traveler wanting to book a hotel room lands in Books & Authors. A conservative wanting to know if Biden is going to force him to buy an electric car has his question land in Cars & Transportation rather than Politics.

Someone at yahoo determined that the average anglo is dumber than their algoritm...

In the German section ( "yahoo!clever") it's still up to the asker to choose a category.

In the English section, it goes by keywords, and the algoritm often gets it wrong. In that case the asker is supposed to click "edit" and move it to the correct category

It is an AI algorithm just like search engines use to get you results. So be careful when asking questions to use good keywords. If you ask about "chemistry between me and my honey bunch", you will probably wind up in science or food, not dating.

Server computers use computer algorithms and keywords in your?question to determine?which category to post your question. Those?alritms can changed the category if update the?question AND your question Can post in multiple subcategories. Answers can cause?a shift as well. The same question can post in both physics and?engineering or physics a nd Astronomy & Space. It drives manyboeople crazy when astrology questions are put into Astronomy & Space by people determined to spam a particular category. 

YA is?almost entirely automated. There is no Yahoo or Verizon staff monitoring or moderating YA since 2013. It DOES help if you ask your question in the subcategory you want the question to post in. 

I think it sort according to particular keywords feed to it. Like here you used the word "Yahoo", so it got your question in Yahoo answers category.