Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 1 month ago

Why do data aggregators continue to insist that they only use public data sources, when I can prove that they do not?

When I got married in 2004, our mailbox was stuffed when we returned from our honeymoon. We bought a house later that year. Ok, yes public records. 

However in 2005 I started going off the grid. I canceled my magazine subscriptions, newspaper, cable TV, and loyalty cards. I never used Facebook, Classmates, etc. I took my resume off of somewhat disreputable job sites. Suddenly I disappeared.

I got divorced in 2007, and sold the house in 2008. I remarried in 2014. I was arrested on bogus charges (dropped) in 2019. I bought a house in 2020. All of those events allegedly created public records, did they not?

I can search for myself on the internet all day long. There are pretty detailed records dating back prior to 2006, and everything after that is completely garbage data that clearly came from records belonging to other folks with names spelled similar to mine. 

I get very near zero junk mail, and when I do I simply mark it “addressee deceased return to sender”.  Sometimes I hunt down the bulk mail provider and ask to be purged.

Funny how the data aggregators cannot find me now that I do not subscribe to anything.

Clearly public records are not even a primary source of data. 

It's a mix.

Public records are part of it.  But as you've discovered, being active online and signing up for things is where they really mine a lot of our data.