Can I get in trouble for this? ?

My roommate got a dog few months ago, she decided not to pay the 300$ deposit our apartment requires for a pet. I have a dog also, and paid a deposit for her. Now, she is allowing her dog to use restroom all over the house and will not clean it up, constantly blaming it on her “depression” I cannot live like this, but I’m also not a maid. The apartment has hardwood floors and I can see some of the wood is lifting. Should I contact the landlord and explain the situation? We are both on the lease. I do not want to get evicted because I have perfect credit, but I know she does not care about hers. 

Yes you should contact the landlord. Explain the situation. And why on earth would YOU pay for her dog?  That's not something I would have done. If the deposit had not been paid, she would have had the landlord all over her case--and that's what you should have done. But you can't go back on that now. Contact the landlord--and let them know what's going on. 

• Ajay D

demand a lot of money from the roommate for cleaning. That will show how serious her depression is.

When is your lease up?  If soon, give notice and hope that she stays there.  If you are tied into the lease for quite some time, ask the ll if she qualifies on her own because you need to get out of there due to her filthy way of living and her violations.  It's tough about whether to report her or not.  Can you prove it's her dog and not yours?  Is she likely to lie and say your dog caused all of the damages?

I would definitely tell the landlord, but I'd phrase it something like "My roommate got a dog and I assume she told you about it, but the dog is peeing on the floor so you might want her to get rid of the dog." In other words, tell the landlord everything but don't mention that you knew the roommate was avoiding the pet deposit - instead make it seem like you assumed they'd told the landlord about the dog.

There is a chance the landlord will get annoyed enough that they tell you both to leave, when the lease is up (can't do that until the lease is up and probably can't make you get rid of your dog if its in the lease - if your dog is not sepcifically mentioned in the lease then they could make you get rid of it, too).

Her dog is doing permanent damage,  you both will be liable for that. Depression isn't an excuse,  the dog goes or she AND the dog go.

• a

If you know of a situation that damages the apartment and you don't tell the landlord, yes, you can be held accountable.

Can you handle the rent until you find another room mate?

• Amy

If the two of you are renting together as a single unit (as opposed to each having your own rental contract), then you are jointly responsible for the damage. The landlord will not evict your roommate without also evicting you. You need to work out the problems between yourselves.

If you have proof that your dog is innocent and the other is entirely to blame, then you MIGHT be able to sue your roommate to pay you back after the landlord forces you to pay for the damage.

For now, the first thing to do is inform your roommate that if she is physically incapable of letting her dog outside to pee, then she cannot have a dog. It's not safe for you, her, or the dogs to live in unhygienic conditions. If she doesn't shape up, turn the dog over to a shelter.

In any event, you are going to be in a heap of legal trouble. Pet urine damage will require replacing the entire flooring in the apartment. You will owe thousands of $$$. Better see a lawyer as it's going to be joint responsibility and you didn't stop the situation that led to damage.

Besides the money damages you'll get on a formal/informal blacklist. You'll be lucky to rent anywhere under your own name.

Had the pet deposit been separated into yours and hers, it could be argued that you are to be held blameless and that she is the one facing eviction and loss of her deposit. But it was not. You paid the deposit. And because of that, it doesn't matter that your dog isn't the problem. You run the risk of being discovered and evicted prior to the lease expiration, but in my opinion, that's the wisest course of action. If you notify the landlord, the landlord has the right to evict, and does not have to evict just one of you, so you should not assume that the landlord will evict her only.  Should you make it to the end of the lease undiscovered, expect to kiss your security deposit goodbye, as well as the pet security - they are not separate; if pet security does not cover all pet damage, the general security deposit can be taken for that, and if that isn't enough, you can expect to be sued for those damages.  But it won't count as an eviction. And if you pay all damages (thereby avoiding a lawsuit), it won't affect your credit.  You could then sue your ex-roommate for 50% of what it cost you.

• n2mama

Yes, you absolutely can get in trouble for this. You are both on the lease, which means that when the landlord finds out about her lease violation dog, if she doesn’t get rid of the dog you both get evicted. If the landlord doesn’t find out before your lease ends, when you move out you both are held responsible for the damages. And if that includes damage to hardwood floors, it almost certainly will exceed your deposit, which means you get charged (or sued) for the overage. You could talk to the landlord, but again, if you are both on the lease, you both suffer the consequences. The landlord would give a “remedy or quit” notice (generally 3 days, but could be 5 or 7 depending on state law), and if your roommate doesn’t fix the situation or move out within that period, the landlord can file for eviction in court. And that filing goes against everyone on the lease. 

I don’t know how you would ever be able to prove (like in court) that the damage was caused by her dog versus your dog.