Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

So which is it, atheists? There are no gods, or atheism is just a lack of belief?

You can't have it both ways, or your religion makes no sense.

Atheism is the most internally inconsistent religion in the world.

• Paul

Atheist "logic" goes "I don't know Him, therefore He cannot exist, even though hundreds of millions of people do know Him". Totally irrational.

Atheism isn’t a religion you terminal doughnut. Atheists don’t believe in God. Not believing is a lack of belief. We know more about your religion than most of you lot do. 

There are no gods, prove me wrong.  In making that assertion, I am lacking belief.  I can most certainly have it both ways.  What is so confusing about basic English terms?

Strong atheists think there are no gods. Agnostic atheists dont believe in any gods but are willing to entertain the idea. So both.

People say it both ways.  You're attempting to make a big deal over the individual person's level of confidence.

I say there is no gods.  I also say I do not believe in gods.  Both statements are correct and not in contradiction.  Some people aren't confident enough to not add the belief caveat.

I believe gods are imaginary only. Is that simple enough? 

• James

Both. If there are no gods (which there aren't), why should we believe in them?

• You are correct, each atheist does not believe both ways.  We aren't like Christians who supposedly believe a book contains God's word yet can't agree on a single thing it says.

We all think for ourselves and therefore have different conclusions.  Some conclude that no gods exist.  Others like me reserve judgement but have so far found no conclusive evidence that the God claims are true.

Not even yours.

But thanks for calling atheism a religion.  It was an attempt to insult us, and you KNOW religions are insulting to humankind.

Source(s): That's one confusing God you got there.

What's funny is atheists describe themselves with regards to something they don't believe exists

• Den B7

Using your assessment, it must be that there are no gods. A lack of belief supposes that there is a reason to believe, but that atheists lack the faith to do it. That isn't the case.