Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Samantha asked in HealthDental · 3 months ago

Visiting the dentist with a phobia?

So I've got a massive phobia of the dentist, everything about it...from sitting in the chair, smells, sounds.... everything just fills me with anxiety and turns my stomach. Usually I'd be sedated to have any work done but this time I want to try an do my treatment without it.... what I want to know is what the drill feels like ( just the thought makes me feel like ive got vertigo) and if there are any tips on how to relax and try to take my mind off what will be happening whilst I'm in the chair.

Thank you for reading and taking  the time to answer if you have any advise :)

• Tavy

Ask the dentist if you can have earbuds and music. The drill just feels like a bit of pressure.

Good for you in trying to get over your phobia.

Ask a dentist if you can just visit and just stand in the room for a little bit just so it can help you get desensitized.

Honestly. Going to the dentist does hurt but it's really minor. The tools will pinch you, your mouth will feel dry. Its going to happen.

The typical appointment lasts for 30-45 minutes. Its no big deal. I hate it too but, it has to get done in order for my teeth to be healthy.