suzannah asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

At orthodontist today he was treating me and someone else in different rooms at the same time. He came into my room, took his old gloves ?

Off, ONLY used hand sanitiser and put new gloves on and then started looking through my teeth. This isn’t safe is it? I thought they where meant to wash their hands in between patients. I don’t know what to do now I am very scared. I’m more concerned about things like norovirus and not proper germ control from one patient to me. Is this normal or not? 

• A

You gotta relax. He changed his gloves and sanitized. Washing hands that often will cause skin problems. 

No, he does not need to wash his hands as long as he used hand sanitizer.

He took off his gloves without touching the outside of them with his hands (only glove to glove touching).

Used hand sanitizer

Put on new gloves.

There is no wear that you would get any contamination.

Even if he hadn't used the hand sanitizer you would have been ok, because he never touched the outside of the gloves.

They learn this in about day one of medical and dental school

IT is normal. You are not. You are, however, perfectly safe from contamination. If the dentist always washed his hands between patients, he'd have skin rotting off his hands in short order.

• Tavy

For goodness sake he removed his gloves and used sanitiser, he did not need to wash them.

• Marc

Calm down. He used sanitizer and NEW gloves. That is acceptable to clean hands. Nurses do this all day long in hospitals from patient to patient. Old gloves off, sanitizer, new gloves on for next patient.  Stop being paranoid