Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

What the heck are these peppers? ?

They're green, about 4-5 inches long and are extremely hot. They're not jalapeños because i can eat those. These look like jalapeños but are hot like Habenero. 

I bought a bag of them at I think Walmart or Shaws thinking they'd be mild. There was no sign so I don't know the name and I threw them away.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

It is probably a serrano pepper. Hotter than jalapeno, but smaller and thinner. 

• 1 month ago

Hatch or anaheim maybe.  

• 1 month ago

There are a lot of peppers substitutes. Maybe it's one kind of them you can use while cooking. 

• 1 month ago

Yes, there are 1000s of chilies, but only 5-10 are in even the most esoteric hipster market. That's 99% likely to be serrano. 

If you want to use them but don't like the heat, they will diffuse their oil/heat when cooking. Cut off the ends and split it in half and lay it in with whatever you're making. Instead of 80SHU in one bit of raw pepper, that has been spread through the broth now and there'll be more like 10SHU in each bite.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They could be Habenero's. 

• 1 month ago

could be any pepper. 

Serrano, Shishito, jalapeno and almost every pepper will be green and then turns color as it ripens so a "green" pepper could be any

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sounds like a serrano to me. 

Attachment image
  • Ivan
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Not all jalapenos are created equal. Some of them are hot enough to really light you up. Serranos are always hot, and they are dark green like jalapenos, but more slender in shape. You should post a photo for us to check out.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

There are dozens of kinds of chili peppers.   They could be Barker's, Hidalgo, New Mex XX...

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Jalapenos have been dumbed down over the last 10 years - hardly any heat at all -you may have gotten a "real" bag of jalapenos. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.