Anonymous

My new boss just screwed me big time and now I look really bad to the company. I want to tell her off so badly!!! She’s brand new!!! ?

I’ve been at my job 3 years. I have 4 supervisors that oversee me. One of our supervisors is brand new. To make a long story short, clients hire me to do talks to their employees on how to market certain products. I had 4 training sessions set up via zoom with 4 different clients this week and next week. I’ve worked with all these clients before and have a very good rapport with them. 

My new boss came to me with a 2 week training assignment from a new client. I explained to her what my calendar looked like. She told me to cancel all 4 of my training sessions and that they would put someone else in for those days. I thought it was ODD she asked ME to cancel in the system because generally the boss does it. I canceled and 20 minutes later my other 3 bosses are flipping out at me. I’m told I’m being put on probation now because I canceled 4 assignments on my own, I’m told I just cost them a TON of money because the clients events are now “canceled” last minute. 

I explained to them that I did as my other supervisor instructed me to do. My supervisor (who’s brand new) is NOW saying she never told me to cancel the training and I did it on my own accord. I get paid a salary but you also get money for each class you teach. I get paid more for longer training sessions obviously. So NOW it looks like I pulled a fast one by canceling all my assignments to “get more money” I did not get any of this in writing so it’s my word against hers. Also, my clients are really upset with me too. 

• jim

Is there a way you can get those meetings back? Have this as a learning experience and before this boss has you do a certain thing again! Make sure to ask other superiors around you.

"I want to tell her off so badly!!!"

That'd be totally unprofessional of you.  In the end you'd only be harming yourself by doing that.  It was a sketchy, underhanded thing for her to do to save her own azz but it happens all the time.  The only thing you can do is bite your tongue.  Maybe you can try to salvage the situation by explaining to the clients the cancellations were a mistake and rescheduling them.  

• a

Been there. Went over my supervisor's head and told the boss, but nothing much happened. If your boss doesn't have your back, I would seriously and very quietly start looking for something else.  

Not questioning an odd request was a major mistake. A quiet conversation with your supervisor telling her you both know what happened is probably what you feel like doing, but I doubt it would get you anything of value.

Sadly, explaining to your clients it was the Sup's decision will just make you look bad.

Stick to your guns as to who told you what.

It seems the biggest issue is that your clients are notified when a class is cancelled within your internal system. 

- Why are they getting an auto-email on this?  That is the only way they would know the classes are cancelled.  Doesn't seem like a system should generate an auto email for something like this.

- Also, why would you "cancel" the class instead of simply assign a different instructor to the class in the system?  The class wasn't "cancelled", you were removed from leading it

• L

Without proof.........it is 'he say - she say'.  What you should have done, before cancelling anything, is speak with your immediate boss.

• n2mama

You report to four supervisors, the brand new one made a request that was ODD to you given everything you know from working there for three years, but you didn’t bother to get the instructions in writing or double check with one of your other supervisors? Yeah, poor decision made there, but nothing you can do about it now but learn from it. Your new supervisor isn’t going to step up and own her part in this, and you are going to take the hit for it. Telling her off is not going to go well for you, are you prepared to quit your job or get fired? Because if you get put on probation and then decide to go off on your boss, you could absolutely get fired over this. Are you willing to flush three years of work over this?

Why not quit troll?