Why do people work as personal assistants for wealthy people?

You are basically the ultimate biyatch to the rich person, they know that their time is more valuable than the cost of hiring you. That’s the entire reason they hired you. They pay you $20 an hour to do their busy work. The money they pay their personal assistant to run errands like grocery shopping and cleaning their car and mailing packages at the post office and mowing their lawn and random odd jobs, that they realize spending time doing cuts down on the time they can use to make more money or enjoy their free time with their family after work. 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Why is your issue only with wealthy people?

This is the same as having a secretary, administrative assistance, file clerk etc.

It's more cost effective to have a lower level employee file documents than someone who gets paid more for higher level work.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

My sister-in-law was one once. She and my brother got to live on Cape Cod, in West Palm Beach and San Diego. They were also part of the America's Cup defense management team in 1992 and she made a **** ton of money, so your experience is only a narrow view.

• 1 month ago

It's what some people like to do. It can also be a great stepping stone for these people who can network within wealthy circles and take notes. Many assistants go on to become wealthy in their own right, actually. This is merely getting their foot in the door. They go on to do PR, marketing, law, whatever. I mean, look at Kim Kardashian. She was Paris Hilton's assistant... 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

My niece was a personal assistant to a wealthy person.   She made about 60k a year (this was 20 years ago) and she never had to clean or do yard work.    She fielded phone calls and made appointments and planned social events.   It was more like an office job plus some errands.  Not bad for someone who didn't go to college.  She enjoyed it and it opened up doors for her since she met a lot of influential people that she otherwise wouldn't have had access to. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Maybe because $20 is more than the minimum wage you could get elsewhere? Similarly, minimum wage is more than you make as an unemployable troll.

Plus, you might actually learn something as believe it or not, all rich people were not born rich.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.