Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 2 months ago

How about a constitutional amendment forbidding ANYONE in the government from purposely lying to us, with the penalty of removal from office?

I see no justification for anyone in the government EVER lying to us about anything. By anyone I mean holding public office including the president. Part of the problem in the last election is that we do not have a law like this so anyone can lie constantly about anything and get away with it because there is no penalty for lying. There’s no reason to lie to us about anything, not even to protect government secrets. Silence will do just as well to protect sensitive information. 

Update:

Your answer Foofa, like most level 7 answers, makes no sense whatsoever. How does the illegality of lying end security briefings? You can always tell which level 7s gave themselves level 7. Their answers are generally stupid and would only earn favorite answer from themselves. 

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Not going to happen Harry Reid used his senate position to lie to the public and yet 

when asked about he said when not in the senate he was silent on what he said. 

• 1 month ago

how about a amendment that says elected officials are automatically removed and banned from ever holding a elected office again, if they try to pass a law that violates the clear wording of the constitution?

• 1 month ago

One word, perception. So whenever somebody’s perception of something does t align with their own then that person should be removed? If so then this is a good wide open window to remove anyone at just about any time. Some people don’t express certain topics well enough and then it may be perceived as a lie, etc. This is just room for a lot more issues.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That would be nice.. but I'm not holding my breath

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

The 1st Amendment already forbids incitement to public disorder.  

• 1 month ago

That would be the end of the Republican party, the end of FOX news, right wing radio etc...

I fully support it and been saying it for years.  We can say, that we can compel the politician to take a lie detector test once a random rotating board of citizens has deemed by a simple majority that they think the lying accusations are credible...

• 1 month ago

Because the CRIMINALS in DC control the making and enforcing of Laws, and this would stop THEM from Scr3wing YOU over ....

Now, we ALL should not vote for people who lie !  That would make  things a lot  better !

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The truth usually out there someplace. It's up to us to cross reference for confirmation, to know the difference between fact/opinion, to be aware of what's omitted and to be prepared to stall convictions pending more data. There's no shortage of fake news because people line up to buy it. 

Reagan became the father of fake news when he vetoed the Fairness Doctrine. This needs to be revisited for an installment of much needed integrity in the business. A combination of factors including the explosion of social media has resulted in a media that is largely distrusted ... even in times when it is the truth.

• 2 months ago

You wouldn't have any politicians left.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

So no more confidential briefings to politicians and now the public, and our enemies, know everything about our covert methods and operations all around the world. Good luck having a sovereign nation once the US is the only place in the world that can't keep its secrets secret. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.