Traveling to see family?

During covid 19 we can't really go anywhere for vacation so we decided we will just go visit family up north. We plan on driving because the airport is 3 hours away from us and 4 hours away from family so driving will take the same amount of time. We live in west virginia and there's 2 ways to get to our family in New Hampshire. The first way would be driving through Maryland, Pennsylvania, new Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, and then new Hampshire. The other way, which is longer, cuts out new Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts. It adds Vermont though. We plan on visiting in July. Which way do you think it's better. I don't want to quarantine for 14 days. We do plan on getting tested right before we leave just so we have a negative test. We haven't traveled that far since covid so any travel advice would be greatly appreciated as well. 

I am not staying home. I've been staying home for a long time. But if I can still go to work, with a mask, with 750 people then I can travel. I will get tested but will not take the vaccine. 

Go the second way.  Even if it's more miles, it's less time, because because you avoid traffic in the New York City region.

By the way, it can't completely cut out New York State.  New York State reaches all the way from Canada to the ocean.  Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are east or north of it; the entire rest of the country is west or south of it.  The only way to drive from West Virginia to New Hampshire without going through New York State is to go through Canada.

July is a long time away. COVID infection rates are heading down all over the country, and people are getting vaccinated. The situation may be very different when you travel. You don't need to make any definite decisions now. I will say, however, that the New York route is likely to take longer because of traffic. I've driven through New York, and wish I could have avoided it! 

The difference in distance is a few miles and time is a few minutes

I'd drive through VT to avoid the potential issues through the major cities.

• MS

The route that is typically fastest is likely the first one you mention, although that is also likely the one that has the most potential for traffic depending on the time of day.  The other route - I assume more north through PA and straight into NY - cuts out major cities and highways, so it might ultimately be faster.  You may want to look into tolls on both routes too. 

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this question though.  It's whichever route feels best to you.

Hopefully things are a little better by July and it will be safer overall.  Do be careful when considering travel.  And you may have to quarantine whether you want to or not, depending on the rules of the states at that time.

Due to Covid 19 you should absolutely not be visiting any family. You could catch COVID at any point along the way or after your test is taken; or your family there could already have it.

Stay home.