How do I go about evicting a Co-signer of my house.?

The person owns part of my house. How do I get them off my house and out the door. 

What makes you think that you can kick out someone who OWNS the house?  That person has as many rights as you do.  If you are not getting along, you have two choices.  1) buy him out, or maybe you would be willing to let him buy you out 2) sue him in court, requesting that the court order that the house be sold and you split the proceeds.  The latter would be much more costly than the first.  Oh - the other option would be to come up with an agreement wherein you both live there, and interact as little as possible.

• garry

if you have paid your rent on time , he cant evict you , if you havent paid your house payments or are late , he can . banks work on a co-signer if either party hasnt paid the other pays the whole amount .

You can't evict a legal owner. 

Just last week you lost your job and you were living at home!

• L

Since the person owns part of the house..................you can NOT evict him or her.  You can, however, offer to buy their half and if they accept your offer.........then they must move out.

If they share in ownership, they have as much right to be there as you do. They are not a tenant that can be evicted. The only way to get them out is with a court order of protection, if the facts warrant it. Which they could also obtain against you, if the facts warrant it.

Step #1 - refinance the loan in your name alone. This will remove them from the legal responsibility of paying the mortgage, placing that burden solely on you. Of course you'll need the credit and income sufficient for the bank to approve you on your own.

Step #2 - convince them to sign a quit claim document giving up their ownership claim on the home. This is entirely voluntary and there is no way for you to force them to sign. They would likely expect financial compensation for giving up their share. And even if you offer to pay them a fair price they might not want to give up their home.

Step #3 - once they have no legal ownership in the home you can serve them notice to vacate, then file eviction papers against them in court if they refuse to leave.

Each step on its own is unlikely to work, and since you need all 3 to work before you actually get the person out, it sounds like a very very long shot if you ask me. Next time don't buy a house with someone you don't want to live with.

• R P

My answer is for the USA:

You would need to get a restraining order against that person.Or, you could buy out their ownership share of the property & have them sign a quit claim deed. Give them the money AFTER they have completely moved out & then immediately change the locks.

You literally can't. Because it's not your house (singular). It's your house (plural) - you both own it together.

If you want them out - you'll have to sell the house together; or (if they're willing and you can afford to) buy out their share. 

• Tavy

It's only half your house, so you cannot.