How do I avoid a raise in the price of my car insurance after a lapse in coverage?

I didn't drive the car for several months, but neglected to keep insurance on it. I don't want to deal with the unfair rise in my monthly bill. Is there a way around it? Am I obligated to tell them there was a gap if they don't ask about it specifically? Any help would be lovely. Be safe yall^_^

The only way that I know of is to keep driving without insurance.

• garry

you cant , insurance works from the day you got it , they dont back date it .. pay up or get insurance else where , we gave you a choice .

• Phil M

You are not obligated to tell them. That is why they keep tabs on it for themselves. If there is a lein on the vehicle, the lending institution also will keep track of it. In that case they will buy insurance for the time you let it lapse. They will add the cost (which is usually 2 to 4 times the actual cost) to your loan. 

• May

Sorry but you cannot undo a lapse.  You won't have to tell them about the lapse because they will know after they get a C.L.U.E. report on you.

Tip:  NEVER lie to an insurance company.  If they ask a question, answer it truthfully.

That depends on where you live, which you didn't say.  In some jurisdictions, a gap in your insurance of any length will affect your rates.  In others, the gap has to be over a year.  In yet others, the gap only counts if your policy was cancelled by the insurance company instead of at your request.  In yet others, gaps don't affect your rating at all.

Then there's the fact that not all insurance companies rate gaps the same way, so you get the idea.

You might as well tell your new insurance company about the gap, because they will find out.  Even if they don't ask about it up front, they'll still find out.  And if it's a gap that affects your rating, they'll jack your rates up after you've signed up with them.  

If gaps in coverage affect your rates where you live, there's no way around it.  Insurance companies are all very used to people trying to find a loop hole, so they know all the tricks.

• ron h

You WILL be asked.  There's mention of yes or no, did you turn in your lic plates-- I don't think ins co will care, but in some states, keeping plates / driving an uninsured car is against the law and you may get some heat for that.  Your ins co WILL ask about current or previous insurance and will check it out. 

It has nothing to do with the plates turned in.  People can own cars and not have a drivers license.

There is no way to get around the lapse because no one is going to believe you that you didn't drive a car at all during those months. 

i would talk to the insurance people about it

Find an insurance agent in your town and have him give you a quote from Progressive. They did me right.