Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Thinking about moving out of my parent's house? Any advice?

I'm 21 years old, high shool graduate and I have been out of college for almost two years now (I'm still a freshman or sophomore by college credits). I haven't relly been going back to school because I really can't handle the stress and the work for school. I'm currently unemployed but I have about $9k in my savings account and I'm thinking about moving to the mainland United States (Seattle, Washington specifically) I'm also planning to move soon because I have a close friend who is willing to take me in. We agreed that I'll get a job once I arrive and we can split the rent, bills, etc. I really don't have freedom living at my parent's house and the longer I stay, the more I become depressed. I love my home, and I'm comfortable, but I have been thinking a lot and I don't see myself moving forward in life if I chose to stay with my parents. I have already bought my luggages and I still need to pack the rest of my stuff, all I need is my plane ticket. Any advice? Do you think it is a good idea to move out?

• Carmen

Think seriously before you leap and leave your comfortable safety nest because it’s easy to get into something different but not as easy to get out of it. Make sure you have a plan if things don’t work with your friend if you move leave on good terms with your parents you never know when you might need them or a place to stay. Everyone eventually want their freedom but regardless of what your parents will have your back if you continue to honor them respect them and keep a humble disposition. Pray for guidance and let your parents know your decision whether they agree or like it be careful the world is in the middle of a Pandemic as mentioned. 

I am afraid it's not a good idea to move out right now during a pandemic. Besides, it seems you have no detailed plan at all. Just a word from a friend is far from enough. Cheer to your thought but don't agree with your plan.  Making complete preparation Is a pretext to put your thought into practice. Be patient and be undaunted. 

Moving out is a good idea but avoid renting shared space with a friend. Get your own stuido apartment for cheap. Live alone. It's not a good idea to have roommates after your mid 20s. Your living space should be limited to your immidate family. Rest should go. After you have a stable job, consider buying a townhome or a condo where you can call your home. Credit unions have very low down payment requirements. So good place to start.  

It's always good to broaden your horizons.  You are still very young so some advice here - DO NOT trust anyone or anything!  ALWAYS have a plan B.  DO NOT spend your money on anyone except YOURSELF!  KNOW that at the end of the day that YOU are the ONLY person you can depend on.  This is the stark REALITY of adult life.  Just keep your priorities straight and ALWAYS strive to better yourself.  Much as you may not like it, an EDUCATION is your ticket to growth, so try to go finish those last 2 years of college.  It's very daunting to step out into the void on your own, but if you keep your responsibilities and priorities in order you'll be FINE!

You better have some work lined up and waiting for you to get there. Nine grand isn't going to get you very far in Seattle. Most jobs withhold two weeks pay, so even if you started work the day you arrived, it would be a month before you received a paycheck. Not trying to discourage you, go for it ! Good luck !

I get that you are both legally and mentally an adult but given this virus insanity perhaps now is not the best time to move out. 

i would do what you want to do

• Strand

Unemployment is extremely high right now and Seattle is a very expensive place to live. I think you are going to have a very hard time finding a job at all, let alone one that pays enough to live in the city. You aren't going to have any more freedom or potential for growth if you end up having to take multiple low wage jobs and work 12+ hours a day just to get by. You will get a much stronger start in life if you stay with your parents and save money. A low wage job in your home town isn't so bad when you get to keep most of that paycheck, and you will have a much easier time finding better work with some experience on your resume.

Maybe, maybe not.  At the moment, you are unemployed, you are not in school and you're planning a very major move.  It sounds like you're jumping the gun, but here's how to test if you're ready for this.  

When people leave home for the 1st time, all of us have sticker shock.  With a major move, there's even more risk involved..  My question is have you done a complete line item budget on the costs you will incur?  This means you'd start with your balance and then subtract airfare.  Have you asked your friend what your rent and utility expenses will be monthly?  Take 3 months and subtract that from  your amount.  What about other expenses, like phone bill, health insurance, food, etc?  How will you get around in Seattle?  This isn't a cheap place to live.  Add in transportation.  

The point here is that if you haven't done most of this, you aren't ready.  You'll get a job, but it won't be high paying.  The fact you have some college is nowhere near as important as the fact you've been slacking for 2 years.  In that case, I suggest you find a job locally and work there for at least a year.  

I think Seattle is a great city in a beautiful part of the world. Packed with people. From my perspective, it's very expensive. It's often a great idea to "move out" when you are an adult. Do you have any clue what sort of money your friend is talking about when it comes to getting a place and splitting costs?