Are there derailleurs with a longer low reach?

I built an enduro ebike snd I had to use a lot of spacers to fit in the hub motor which meant that the derailleur (Shimano Tourney 7-8 speed) will only reach to the 3rd gear. Are there any 7-8 speed derailleurs with a particularly long reach (heading into the spokes on a regular bike)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

One solution, which may be too late for you, is to get an ebike conversion kit that has the motor on the front wheel. That way you can leave the rear wheel and derailleur alone, the way it is. If you can return your conversion kit to the seller, then you can still use my solution. In general mountain bike rear derailleurs will let you use lower gears than a road bike derailleur. . 

• 1 month ago

Is your chain sized correctly? Shimano makes derailleurs with short, medium, and long cages. Long cages have more wrap capacity, but don't help if your chain is already too short.

• 1 month ago

Yeah, you can get a long cage derailer.  However, another thing that is worth looking at is a wolf tooth.  This is an extender for road bikes that allow me to fit an 11 40 cassette instead of the 12 30 that it came with.  Other than that, look at getting a long cage derailier.

Luck

• D50
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

It sounds like you should have built a frame to suit the powertrain you were planning to use. You used the frame you already had and it's for a regular bike with no motor. No wonder nothing will work. "I decided to replace the motor in my car with an airplane engine and it doesn't fit."

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

float_on_harmonys_fire... Someone answers the question truthfully & you can't handle it? 🤔  

Attachment image
  • @ old hippie, I will smash your egg head

• 2 months ago

You left out one very important detail.  What's the gearing on the rear cog - freewheel or cassette?  A Shimano Tourney rear derailleur will generally only handle up to a 32 tooth or maybe 34 tooth low gear.  If you've added spacers that push that derailleur farther away from the frame...you're, well - screwed.  

Yes, there are derailleurs with a short cage, medium cage & long cage.  This Shimano RD-M9100-SGS derailleur will handle up to a 51 tooth low gear.  BUT...it's designed for a 12 speed rear cog. https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/product/component/x...

So a do-it-yourself project went bad? 😲  Who could've seen that coming? 🙄  hashtag - sarcasm     

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.