Can I use my skates as a Tax Deduction?

I work at a I’ve skating rink. I need new skates. The ones I want are $1042. Can I write them off as a work item?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Is buying skates a REQUIREMENT for employment that you were told you have to have or you can't work there?  No?  Then your answer is also no. You can't deduct them. 

• 2 months ago

If they were not part of a uniform for the job,  no. 

• 2 months ago

If you are an employee, no, you effectively cannot.

• 2 months ago

You DO NOT need the skates for your job.

Even if they qualified as itemized deductions, they are less then 1/10th of the standard deduction, meaning you would need AT LEAST $11,000 more in itemized deductions to get ANY benefit.

That said, you couldn't clam them as a deductible expense even if they were absolutely necessary for your job.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You can no longer deduct employee business expenses.

• 2 months ago

If you don't need skates to do your work (for example, if you work in the snack bar), no.

If you are an employee, no, because Congress ended the deduction for employee business expenses.

Even if you are an independent contractor AND you do need them for your work, AND the other requirements are met, the final problem is that something that costs that much and lasts over a year can't be deducted all at one time; if it is deductible at all, you'd have to deduct a small amount, called the depreciation, each year, for several years.

• 2 months ago

You said you work at a skating rink.  Does that mean you are an employee?  Employees don't write off ANYTHING.  You are not a business owner.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No for several reasons.  One, no employee deductions any more and two, not reasonable and customary.

• 2 months ago

i would ask at your job about it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.