Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

How did you people who were alive in the 80's work without internet?

You need internet and computers for almost every job these days. How did you people back then work without it? Would be interesting to hear if there are any of you still alive. 

123 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you think that almost all jobs need internet or a computer then you must be living in a very small world - limited to that 15 to 32-inch something of LCD you have in front of you.

For one, even when armed with a computer, you failed to realize that if a working person was at his 20's during the 80's, he would only be around 60 today, very much alive and still working at some capacity because way back then you live to work.

So how did we work during the 80's? We worked without computers or the internet. Simple as that. It may be slower but we got the job done. Some of us still do it the same way we did way back then because we find it easier. Why force us to re-learn the computer every time microsoft tells us to replace our windows or when Intel and AMD declare our computers obsolete? That's too much! It's a miracle we learned and understood win98 so leave us alone with our pentium 1's already.

The internet? Just like the very first Atari, it's a novelty item. Information age? Why are people dumber? Remember, those people who were working in the 80's handed down to you whatever technology you are enjoying today. 

Then again, 40 years from now, someone will ask how people today got by with dumb computers, so-called smartphones and a highly unreliable internet. The answer is simple. It didn't matter. They were just glad they had youtube and facebook.

• 1 month ago

Ever seen the Flintstones? It was exactly like that

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I never had job that couldn't be done easy enough w/o  computer. I'm shocked by the electronic dependency people like you suffer.

• 1 month ago

Paper, pens, pencils, calculators, adding machines, typewriters and fax machines were all available. And there was one other thing that apparently you people who think the 80s was some sort of dark ages:  BRAINS.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

we worked hard and where happy without the net things where better ......

now media it has turned everyone into ZOMBIES  they cant be with out it

• 1 month ago

In the profession that I'm in, development, quite a bit of it is as yet managed without web and PCs.. Individuals do now utilize mobile phones and web however for correspondence and parts requesting, some for work status and following. Previously, that was finished with phones, inventories and people.

• 1 month ago

In the line of work that I'm in, construction, much of it is still done without internet & computers.. People do now use cell phones & internet though for communication & parts ordering, some for job status & tracking.  Before, that was done with telephones, catalogs & human beings.

• 1 month ago

We had this thing called "books". You ought to try them sometime....

• John
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Everything revolved around the telephone - and if you needed to send a document it had to be a posted letter.    During the early 80's fax machines for sending documents became available but not really in the home.    Without anything to compare it to at the time there was no sense of slowness. 

Oddly enough it all worked just fine.  Better than you probably imagine. 

I was 16 in 1981.     24 in 1989. 

• 1 month ago

Only the mindless need internet and computers to do many jobs. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.