Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 month ago

Can I use my wifi even when I'm away from the house?

No, you can't use wifi when you are away from the house.

Generally speaking, it won't work if it goes out of a certain range (such as a house).

By utilizing WiFi, hotspots, and 3G or 4G associations, people can interface with the Internet from anyplace. Peruse on to study the comfort of remaining associated with Internet while in a hurry.

ja                                   

• BigE

Adding to the other answers, Comcast/Xfinity provides an account on a SSID on lots of locations.  It isn't 'yours" but it is access.

The simple answer is no.   Sorry for the long answer, but I believe it's more useful to understand the background behind the simple answer.

Let's define "my wifi".  When you say my wifi I'm assuming you're talking about the wifi "network" you connect to in your home? 

Let's understand the reason wifi exists.  Before there was wifi, devices connected to networks via a physical wire - we call it Ethernet.  The problem with Ethernet is you have to run wires between the network infrastructure equipment (routers & switches) and the devices that use the network (PCs, printers etc..).  Running wires can be difficult, costly and in some cases ugly to look at.  So there was a desire to find a way to connect devices to network infrastructure without running wires.  

Wifi technology leverages the "old" radio technology used by cordless phones (not talking about cell phones).  Cordless phones communicate via radio signals from the handset to a base unit that is physically wired to the telephone network.  Cordless phones can only be used within "radio" distance to their base unit.  The radio technology used for both wifi and cordless phones is low power, if it was higher power the "user of the radio" (i.e. you) would need to have an FCC operators license. Wifi and cordless phones user overlapping frequency spectrum, which is why cordless phones cause interference with wifi.

Wifi works the same way, using pretty much the same radio technology.  Think of your "router" as the base unit, your phone/tablet/laptop as the cordless phone handset.  The radio signal only reaches a 100ish +/- feet from the base.

• i + i

What does "my wifi" and "away" mean? If by 

"my wifi" you mean on your phone or laptop, 

then it depends on whether there is any wifi 

routers nearby to which you have access 

(i.e., their id and password). If by "my wifi" 

you mean the network in your home, then 

it depends on the strength of your signal, 

and the sensitivity of your router. My wifi 

will work within about 100 meters from 

my router, so I am still able to seem my 

network and connect to it even when I 

am down the street a little ways.

• Ben

No I think it only works within range, so right near it.